It’s Buddy Time

Published: June 23, 2016

Things seemed to break perfectly Buddy Hield and the Pelicans, who really need help at the guard positions. Not one guard was picked in the top 4, despite Buddy Hield, Jamal Murray, and Kris Dunn all being projected at some point or another to be picked. Minnesota, with the 5th pick, took Kris Dunn, who was Pelican fans’ favorite choice and probably the best prospect of the 3, but that still left 19 year old Jamal Murray and the NCAA’s biggest performer Buddy Hield for the Pels. With Eric Gordon and Ryan Anderson gone, either one of the sharp shooting guards would be a welcome addition, and in the end, the Pels went with the 4 year college star who improved every single year until he was the best player in the league.

If you need reassurance that this was a good pick, just read to what Ryan Schwan had to say about the guard in out 6th pick tournament:

If we’ve learned anything the past five years, teams that are good must have good perimeter shooting. Not should have. MUST have. And Buddy is one of the best college shooters ever. He shot 45.7% on 8.7 attempts a game. EIGHT POINT SEVEN. You know who never did that? Steph Curry. Neither did Klay Thompson or J.J. Redick. Damian Lillard? Nope. Buddy posted a True Shooting Percentage of 66.5%. Do you know how many other college players scored that efficiently last season and weren’t just dunking? No one. How about the year before? That would be Nobody.

You know what I’m tired of? Guys who don’t leave it all on the floor. Guys who take plays off. Guys who don’t develop their skills and are the same guy now as the one that joined the team.

In sum. Guys who don’t love the game.

Do you know who loves the game? Buddy. Do you know who improved by leaps and bounds every year he was in college? Buddy. Do you know who has words like “plays extremely hard” and “will do everything in his power to win” in every single draft scouting report this summer?

Buddy.

The guy gives a damn, works like a dog, won’t quit, and hasn’t missed a game since his freshman year. Doesn’t that sound like a refreshing change of pace? And that’s even before we get to his skill level. I mentioned his shooting before – but Hield is so much more than that.  He was absolutely, monstrously elite last year as a scorer. In the last 20 years only one other college player has scored as much and as efficiently as Buddy Hield did last year for Oklahoma.

He’s not the youngest guy in the draft, but he has tons of room to improve and the one skill that he definitely has down is one the things the Pels need the most. He’s a big name that brings more attention to New Orleans basketball. It is hard to be upset with this pick. The future just got a little bit brighter for this team.

1. CoReMeGa

June 23, 2016 at 7:38 pm

YEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSS

2. Caffeinedisaster

June 23, 2016 at 8:12 pm

Who was the other player that scored like Buddy?

3. nolahog

June 23, 2016 at 10:21 pm

That game in Baton Rouge this past year was wild.  Guy was straight ballin’.  I think this is a good pick.

4. NolaWill

June 24, 2016 at 12:07 am

Tyreke Evans, Ajinca, this Diallo kid and 2 unprotected 1st round picks for Jimmy Butler.. The Bulls are listening.. Just do it!!!

5. NOLA_P

June 24, 2016 at 1:11 am

I really wanted Kris Dunn, but Buddy Hield was my second choice. Love this guy! He will be our Klay Thompson for sure. Great pick. Then getting Cheik Diallo in the 2nd was a steal IMO. He was mocked as high as top 20. He’s a big man with a non-stop motor that has the potential to be a defensive stopper! I hope we found a Kenneth Faried/Tristan Thompson type of backup power forward. Absolutely loved this draft!! We killed it!

6. Jimmy Lee Dobbs

June 24, 2016 at 7:01 am

My Buddy and me Geaux Pelicans. I bet we’re going to see a lot of My Buddy dolls at the Center this season.

7. Jimmy Lee Dobbs

June 24, 2016 at 7:07 am

NolaWill Where you heard this?

8. PelicanYouDigIt

June 24, 2016 at 9:00 am

Love this pick. Can’t remember a more mature, ready to go player with this much talent in a long time. The shooting is instantly translatable, which in my book makes him bust-proof. I don’t understand these people who think he has high bust potential. (I think ESPN used some sort of metric to put it at 40% odds that he would be a “bust”, for whatever that’s worth) I think he has the highest floor of anyone in this draft not named Ben Simmons. At worst he is a knockdown catch and shooter, and if he gets even better, he could be Klay Thompson material.
    I think the best comparison I’ve seen is Richard Hamilton. (He even kinda looks like him.) I think he’s Richard Hamilton right now, and if he gets even better from there? No way that can be considered a bust in the NBA draft which is a minefield for disappointment.