Weakside Eyes: Summer Reading, Part 4
“Cherish today, ’cause tomorrow can be real crazy”
- Don’t say “its not working;” explain why it’s not working.
- While watching a game, can you explain why a team is winning/losing and how those things are happening?
- Help the “help defender.” Never let the helper’s man score.
- Can your defense get 3 stops in a row? Can your team do that 6 times in a game? I call 5 stops in a row a shutout.
- Always keep track of the number of “lane catches” your offense gets and how many your defense allows
- Don’t give the cutter a choice of which direction to take.
- Shooters must be able to shoot
- off the dribble
- off the cut
- off the “spot up” from a drive & kick.
- Unselfish plays in basketball
- swinging the ball
- Length and quicks shrink the floor… you need these physical qualities on your team
- Watch the GREAT ONES play and you’ll learn a lot.
- Little/Big means doing the little things makes big things happen… Little/Big!
- You can’t change physical bad habits by just “voice.” The body must learn to correct it with drills/repetition.
- In a late game “special situation,” try using a good shooter to screen for another good shooter. Makes it tougher for the defense to defend.
- It’s a game of ‘counters’
- Coaching is for today, teaching is forever.
- OFFENSE is all about spacing… DEFENSE is about rotations.
- Don’t mistake activity for accomplishment… that’s called “false effort”
- Do you know what the “four levels” of the court are?
- CONCENTRATION + ANTICIPATION + RECOGNITION + REACTION + EXECUTION.
- “You either deal with the s__t or the s__t is gonna deal you.” All easy problems have already been solved… learn to deal with the chaos ’cause it happens.
- Would you trust a player that puts pineapple on a pizza to take the last shot?
“Make deposits into your knowledge bank every day.”
If you have any questions about any of the summer reading topics, please ask them; I will respond to your posts.
Gerry V is a 21-year NBA analyst, 17-year talk radio host, a 16-year coach, and current anchor for “Fox 8 New Orleans Morning Edition”, 5 a.m. – 9 a.m. and “Fox 8 News at Noon.” Follow Gerry V on twitter (@GVTalk).