In the NO Podcast Episode 141: Pelicans trade for Jrue Holiday during NBA Draft

Published: June 27, 2013

Michael and I get together to talk the aftermath of a crazy NBA draft. We talk Nerlens Noel, the value of that 2014 draft pick, Jrue Holiday and Pierre Jackson. Then we consider the salary cap implications, what the trade means for Vasquez, what Demps is signalling to all of us about his plans for this team, and whether Gordon and Vasquez can get along.

Crazy night!

Give us a call to sound off! 504-322-3333.

Enjoy the Podcast!

Don’t forget to subscribe, rate and review. Thanks for listening.

1. pelsfan2313

June 28, 2013 at 12:03 am

Had a great time at the draft party in BR!

Thanks for all you guys do. Much appreciated.

2. Roger.That.

June 28, 2013 at 12:04 am

Damn I should totes save this for work tomorrow but instead ill stay up til 1:30 and be miserable all morning haha

3. bigindian

June 28, 2013 at 12:07 am

Love the trade, can’t wait to listen.  This is one of the most polarizing trades I’ve ever seen.  People, not just Pelicans fans, either LOVE it or HATE it for the Pelicans.

• Houpgarou

June 28, 2013 at 10:25 am

bigindian
      lovin it!

4. Hank_

June 28, 2013 at 12:45 am

I honestly dont think the pelicans would be in the top 5 no matter who else was on the roster if davis were to play 75-80 games next year

5. mrcatz22

June 28, 2013 at 12:57 am

If there is any possible way to get Pekovic, I say we jump right on it. A big man quartet of Davis/Anderson/Pekovic/Jason Smith sound really good to me. We are still lacking on the Small Forward position but (as said in the podcast) Demps is creative, and we may not get a solid starter but he could do much better than a turnover prone Aminu.  Maybe a Carlos Delfino. Doesn’t give us much more than perimeter shooting but I was tired of cringing when Aminu got the ball outside the paint, and I’m sure many fans share the same feelings. And who knows what he does with Gordon too.
    I think the Pelicans have a lot to look forward for moving on with the upgrade. Now to see how free agency shakes up

6. ecolli

June 28, 2013 at 1:16 am

I remember watching the hornets play the 76ers early in the season and if I remember correstly the hornets ended up scoring the fewest points in franchise history

7. yaboytonez

June 28, 2013 at 3:52 am

Great podcast. I’ve been getting bashed for not loving the trade. Good to see actual analyst not over the moon in with this deal.

8. chiefyoungblood

June 28, 2013 at 4:50 am

In short , How do you hate this trade?  Complain around its edges maybe , but outright hate makes no sense.  Gotta be coming from the irrational trey burke constituency.   Let the dealer deal . And lets see how this off-season plays out.
    While I’m very happy with the trade, I am a little let down that we didn’t really get to dive head first into Nerlins / Nawlins word play.

• Caffeinedisaster

June 28, 2013 at 2:06 pm

chiefyoungblood I agree.  The first text I sent after the pick was “NERLENS IN NAWLINS!!!”

9. 504ever

June 28, 2013 at 7:49 am

Love the list of 6th and 10th picks from prior drafts.  It shows how great this trade is for us.  Love the thought of M. Webster at SF for the Pelicans.
    I think there is merit to resigning Aminu as a back-up 3, or 4 when we want to go small, especially if we can get him cheaply, on a Jason Smith type deal.  Then an ‘as currently configured’ Pelican teams look even stronger.

• hewhorocks

June 28, 2013 at 10:18 am

The list of picks is cherry picking though. You can find excellent players throughout the drafts and after the 10th pick. David West was 18th..

• 504ever

June 28, 2013 at 11:29 am

hewhorocks
        No using the 6th and 10th picks in a given draft is a good approximation of the value of what the Pelicans gave up.  (And next years’ pick may be below 10th.)

You are cherry picking by looking at all players drafted below 10th.  The reason is the historical odds of any one player drafted below 5th becoming an all-star is very low, and the odds are lower for someone taken below 10th.  So you are ‘cheating’ the low odds/player by looking at dozens of players per draft to find your all-star.
        Of course multiplying the miniscule odds of success for any one player times a dozen players in each draft gives you a great chance to name one player who became an all-star.  But the Pelican’s didn’t give up dozens of draft picks; they gave up two.

• Caffeinedisaster

June 28, 2013 at 2:07 pm

504ever To be more even-handed they could have used picks 6 through 10.

10. Papa Pelican

June 28, 2013 at 9:08 am

This is why the Pelican will always have bandwagon fans because whatever trade they make will cause fans to not like the team much more.These bandwagon fans need to stick to watching Dallas Stars hockey games and Texas Ranger baseball games if they don’t really like basketball.

11. Houpgarou

June 28, 2013 at 10:33 am

3 words: no more tank!!
    Everything this offseason i view in the lens of are we positioning ourself for another lottery or trying to win some games now?  Question answered on June 27 and I like the answer!
    We already see teams lining up for the tank and it’s not july yet (see philly, boston, probly atl).  Do we want to get on the enormous line of teams trying to lose as many games as possible this year, no! We already checked the first and hardest box for rebuilding, find franchise player.  In addtion we’ve surrounded said player with capable sidekicks, trying to find a way to lose again will be too depressing, time to start the right culture around anthony of scrapping for wins every night.
    We have sucked as much as monty could possibly allow the last two years and still were not able to outlose four teams each year.  We’re definitely too good already to outlose all the candidates this year, time to go for it!
    Love how dell pounced on the rare opportunity to land an all-star caliber young player at a position of extreme need at an incredible value,  good times!

12. jmsunseri

June 28, 2013 at 11:21 am

I really really dislike your podcast player.  Pausing the playback never works well.

13. Jason Calmes

June 28, 2013 at 11:29 am

Player comea from podcast host. Not sure we can change it. Will investigate.
    Hewho’s point is correct in cherry picking, but the number of misses is not large to alter the point, I feel. Theu did fine for a quick analysis.

14. lsutigers33

June 28, 2013 at 12:12 pm

2014 was going to be around 10-14.

15. lsutigers33

June 28, 2013 at 12:36 pm

NO grade an A, Phily has a B with a potential A.
    RIght on with McLemore,  love to know more about our options on cap space, players to fit in.
    Still think GV can play both PG and SG.
    if you liked bledsoe or jennings, we made a move that was better than aquiring either.

• Caffeinedisaster

June 28, 2013 at 2:09 pm

lsutigers33 Vasquez can play SF as well.  He just can’t defend ANY OF THEM.

16. Major504

June 28, 2013 at 1:47 pm

I have a question. When are the jerseys coming out?? I have a birthday coming soon so that’s on the top of the list?

• Caffeinedisaster

June 28, 2013 at 2:09 pm

Major504 Here Here!

June 28, 2013 at 2:46 pm

Wekk after the draft is what I was told.
      Sounds like August or September.

17. Caffeinedisaster

June 28, 2013 at 2:03 pm

Now Greivis can REALLY be our Manu by coming off the bench as a 6th man!  🙂

BTW, Greivis was better than Manu this season. (grasps flame-shield)

18. prpcpa1

June 30, 2013 at 10:00 am

Very good analysis of the relative value of the picks we gave up, guys.  I think I can help you figure out why some folks (not me) have a problem with the trade:  The value of draft picks in the NBA is FAR different than the NFL, and I think you’re mainly hearing complaints from (at best) Saints’ fans that don’t yet understand the machinations and workings of the NBA.  To give up two #1s in the NFL is foolishness, but if folks would listen to this and see the names that you listed as typical for the value of #6 and #10 really rams it home.  I’m a fan of this trade, myself for two reasons – 1) the trade itself is good for the Pelicans and 2) Dealer Dell now has assets to continue his quest in upgrading this team.  I saw where this is the 16th trade he’s made since he’s been here and his track record in upgrading the team is phenomenal, imho.