Push for a Championship, a wish list for the summer

Published: February 25, 2011

With a young core and budding superstars, a solid young coach and a great systematic style of basketball, the Hornets are on the upswing. Assuming we can stabilize the ownership situation and have the freedom to make moves, we should be players next year to sign some free agents and make a run at a championship.

Next year could be the last to appease Chris Paul, and if he is sincere in his thirst for winning, he won’t ever walk away on the Hornets if we’re close to winning a chip.

That being said, the hornets have a great balance of young players with significant playoff experience. This  is my wish list of good fits to help up make it over the hump. The players are restricted or unrestricted free agents next year (or have an opt out clause)

(In no particular Order)

Littles:

1. Jamal Crawford
2. Caron Butler
3. JR Smith
4. Tayshaun Prince
5. Andrei Kerilenko
6. Sasha Vujacic
7. Jason Richardson
8. Leandro Barbosa (if he opts out)
9. Michel Pietrus
10. Marcus Thornton (lol)
11. Josh Howard

Bigs:

1. Glenn Davis
2. Tyson Chandler
3. Nene (if he opts out)
4. Troy Murphy
5. Deandre Jordan
6. Zach Randolph
7. Kendrick Perkins
8. Thaddeus Young (Restricted)
9. Samuel Dalembert

This post was submitted by CP3 4 MVP.

1. Joe Gerrity

February 25, 2011 at 1:49 pm

Really good post, but Glenn Davis over Tyson?!?

What tops my wish list isn’t a player, but a new CBA with a much firmer cap and a franchise tag.

2. CP3 4 MVP

February 25, 2011 at 1:54 pm

No Particular Order Joe. To be honest I was going to rank them, but I ran outta Time. Tyson, Meka, and West would be SIIICK though!

3. Joe Gerrity

February 25, 2011 at 1:58 pm

I just can’t believe Glenn Davis came to mind before Tyson!

4. CP3 4 MVP

February 25, 2011 at 3:10 pm

Boston comes before Dallas in the alphabetical team lists I was using to find the contracts (hoopshype).

Speaking of Boston, I think the absolute perfect SG starter for Monty’s system and this team is Ray Allen. Smooth stroke from 3, old pro; comes to play every night, great great defender, and he might be a good mentor for Chris as he comes into this big decision.

5. Michael McNamara

February 25, 2011 at 6:28 pm

Nice list, and I see plenty of guys I would like, but don’t discount how many teams will be sellers with guys under contract.

This is why I think Dell held off on a trade. If he traded for S Jax yesterday, he could have gotten him for expirings. By the summer time, Charlotte will be so deperate to unload him that they might give us our pick back plus cash just to get him off their books.

• nikkoewan

February 25, 2011 at 11:31 pm

great analysis. of those people, i’d like the Hornets to go after Richardson(who in my opinion would look fantastic here as a 3rd option behind Paul and West), Kirilenko, Perkins or Deandre. If we could just get 2 of those 4, i’ll be a happy man. :))

6. MaxALM

February 26, 2011 at 1:47 am

If we don’t sign West and Landry in the offseason, I’d like to see us go after Thaddeus Young. Exciting, energy guy.

• Stefan

February 26, 2011 at 2:29 am

Don’t use that “if” word. We’re resigning West.

7. Stefan

February 26, 2011 at 3:14 am

I’m thinking Barbosa & Murphy.

I would love some of the other guys on that list, but I just can’t see Tyson Chandler coming back here.