Hornets looking to sign Sasha Pavlovic

Published: February 3, 2011

From the reports I’ve heard, it’s possible that Trevor Ariza has a high ankle sprain, which usually takes a bit of time(2-4 weeks)  to recover from.  Well, according to ESPN’s Marc Stein’s twitter account, the Hornets also expect him to miss some time, and are moving to mitigate the issue:

With Trevor Ariza potentially out for two weeks, sources say New Orleans is signing Sasha Pavlovic to 10-day deal by Friday. Link on way

This isn’t Pavlovic’s first run on an NBA team this year, having played some for Dallas a few weeks ago.  For Dallas, he shot fairly well even if he didn’t contribute much else.  That is consistent with his career numbers.  He can knock down the long ball, but don’t expect a lot else from him.

We’ll see how he does in Creole Blue.

[Update] The Times-Picayune is also reporting the signing.

1. TeamAwesome

February 3, 2011 at 3:01 pm

This does not bode well. After the great win streak we lose 2 very important players in a matter of days. I hope Monty and Dell have some tricks up their sleeves or this could be an ugly month.

• Ryan Schwan

February 3, 2011 at 3:04 pm

It’s Q-Pon time!

• TeamAwesome

February 3, 2011 at 3:08 pm

True, but he’s gonna need to play much tougher defense than we saw last night against Durant. I do think he’ll surprise a lot of people, though.

2. Hornet Seantonio

February 3, 2011 at 3:09 pm

hell ya its q-pon time!! hope to god he doesnt lose too many minutes to that stooge pavlovic

3. cro_CP3

February 3, 2011 at 3:18 pm

We’ll do fine, CP3 is gonna get mad this month IMO and DWest will need to play like an animal too and when Okafor gets back and Ariza, NOLA will get a win streak going again, believe me!!!

GO NOLA!!!!!

• Ron

February 3, 2011 at 3:51 pm

CP3 is gonna get mad this month

On a lame knee and gimpy ankle????

• thechosenuno

February 3, 2011 at 4:08 pm

DWest is going to be PISSED if he doesn’t make the All Star team. I don’t mind a PO’ed DWest.

• QueenBee

February 3, 2011 at 6:16 pm

West doesn’t care about the ASG. He’s been honored to have been voted in the past but I don’t think he really cares about it.

4. Kevin

February 3, 2011 at 3:38 pm

Why not Ime Udoka instead? We need the defense right now.

• Ron

February 3, 2011 at 3:53 pm

We need the defense right now.

Great minds obviously thinking alike… Replacing our best wing defender with an outside shooter doesn’t seem like a good switch.

• NOLABanks96

February 3, 2011 at 6:35 pm

lol i tought for a second u were serious on Miles & Walker. I like finley though he is jus old as hell can shoot tho

5. Joe P

February 3, 2011 at 4:45 pm

Oh God, Pavlovic? What happened to the vaunted Spurs-like ability to scout deep in Europe, the D-League and so on. The Mavs lost their starting 3, picked up Pavlovic and LET HIM GO. He’s the definition of a re-tread. Aren’t Antione Walker, Michael Finley, and Darius Miles available? (Kidding!) Why isn’t Dell getting some young & hungry D-League kid? Why not pull the trigger on a back-up-combo-guard-and-scrubby-center-for-something trade? Could Jason Smith be that much worse at the three? Paul, Belly, Smith, West, and Mbenga? I don’t have any answers, but c’mon Sasha Pavlovic?

• 42

February 3, 2011 at 5:30 pm

10-day deal.

• QueenBee

February 3, 2011 at 6:19 pm

That’s all it is. Might even be 2 10 day contracts but no need to act like we just signed the guy for the mid level or anything. LOL.

6. QueenBee

February 3, 2011 at 6:17 pm

If Udoka is all that great why the hell isn’t he on some team right now? LMAO. Didn’t the Spurs have him for a little while? Why did the great Spurs let him go?

• Kevin

February 3, 2011 at 9:13 pm

I said Udoka was “great?” Oh, okay.

7. NOLABanks96

February 3, 2011 at 6:36 pm

Cant stand Pavolich (or however u spell his name). I think we cud have done better

• QueenBee

February 3, 2011 at 6:47 pm

Geezus, we even complain about 10 day deals around here.

• QueenBee

February 3, 2011 at 6:48 pm

Drop some names on who they could’ve gotten better. And how do you know they haven’t ‘tried’ to get these better players?

• NOLABanks96

February 3, 2011 at 6:48 pm

i know its jus ten days but i never liked Pavlovic ever since he played with Lebron.

• NOLABanks96

February 3, 2011 at 6:56 pm

I dont know free agents off the top of my head to give u a whole list of whos better but a player i was hoping wed get is Rodney Carney. But i like the idea of getting someone hungry

8. Oc

February 3, 2011 at 6:36 pm

Sasha when he was good was a handy defender

9. Michael McNamara

February 3, 2011 at 7:04 pm

He is filling a roster spot- I doubt the guy gets any real playing time.

Please, just get us to the All-Star break and then hopefully we can get back to 100%.

And just to add fuel to the fire… Ryan did mention that the injury bug would likely hit 2 podcasts ago. Not saying we should blame him, but….

• QueenBee

February 3, 2011 at 8:52 pm

Yeah, he probably jinxed us. 😉

• 42

February 3, 2011 at 9:39 pm

I wrote it down on my `Schwan Dive” calendar. He can’t deny it. He Beli-flopped this team on purpose. We needed a triple-lindy, and instead he blistered our stomachs and made girls (or guys) laugh.

Let’s talk about Chris Paul’s drunken skeet shooting adventure next, oh, please!

• Ryan Schwan

February 3, 2011 at 10:04 pm

It’s how I roll. I predicted the 2-2 week to end the win streak, and I called the injury bug.

Honestly – we’d been inordinately lucky so far this season with injuries. I’m just glad we’re getting them out of the way now, rather than during the playoffs.

• 42

February 3, 2011 at 11:11 pm

Jokes aside: agreed on our injury luck. Even injury, we’ve been lucky. Anyone remember last season? The one before?

• downnout

February 3, 2011 at 11:21 pm

ryan living up to his avatar! very spocky

10. chiefyoungblood

February 4, 2011 at 3:00 am

real excited a week ago about going to the timberwolves game , best seats i’ve ever had now I have to watch Pavolovic what a let down.

11. bgalella

February 4, 2011 at 6:57 am

Nice addition, the Hornets need someone to space the floor and he’s a decent outside shooter.

12. Dontae

February 4, 2011 at 8:23 am

Don’t really like it but it’s only 10 days.

13. JCS

February 4, 2011 at 9:54 am

Is it me or does hearing this guy’s name remind you of the famous psychologist Pavlov?

• 42

February 4, 2011 at 10:57 am

I think you’ve been conditioned, little doggy.

Ic, ovic, and related enclitics are at times a ‘descended from’ indicator, like ‘son’ in English (Johnson, Peterson), sen in some Nordic tongues (or dottir), or the leading O’, Mc, Mac, and fitz (this comes from the viking days). O’ tended to mean grandson or deeper descendent.

For Pavlovic, my guess is it’s the case for him.

Sasha is a diminuitive of Alexander, or how ever that name is in which Slavic language he was named. I don’t know enough to provide finer granularity, but I’m sure some do on here… Anyway, it’s like Alex or Al, but I think focused more on ‘xander’.

As a bonus, Ivan, Ian, and Johann are ‘John’ and Mikail is ‘Michael’, which diminuitive Misha or Mishka (Mike, Mikey).

14. JaeAmazin

February 4, 2011 at 8:23 pm

Boo!!…But we do need bodies

15. QueenBee

February 5, 2011 at 9:00 am

“Williams mentioned that the Hornets’ defensive schemes are similar to what the Cavaliers used when Pavlovic was in Cleveland, which may make his adjustment even quicker. ”

Makes sense now why they’d take a look at Sasha. And don’t forget lead assistant Mike Malone was with Cleveland when Sasha was so they’re familiar with each other.

• 42

February 5, 2011 at 9:33 am

Idiotic thought of mine: make the guys on 10 day deals all wear number 10. Brand them like Hester Prynne or rookies in some auto racing.

16. Pavlo

February 5, 2011 at 7:51 pm

Do any of you watch Basketball? D- League? Really? This guy is a solid shooter/defender and has good size. He has been in the league awhile so his experience is a plus. I like the pickup…let’s do a year deal!

17. Pingback: Hornets looking to sign Sasha Pavlovic | Whats Hot