New Orleans Pelicans Announce The Arrival Of Tyreke Evans

Published: July 11, 2013

Today the New Orleans Pelicans announced the arrival of their newest player Tyreke Evans.

Announcement Highlights.

• Monty says that Tyreke was one of the guys that when he went up against scared him.  He says he could never figure out how to stop him from getting to the basket, knocking down big shots, and stealing the ball, but there are some things Monty says he has to help Evans with such as weak side defense, getting in his stance.
  • Dell states that Tyreke was his “Plan A” this off season.
  • Tyreke genuinely seems like he wants to be a Pelican and Monty refers to him as a guy that really wants to be here multiple times .
  • Main attractions that brought Tyreke Evans to New Orleans was the trade for, one of Tyreke Evans good friends, Jrue Holiday and the young group of guys the team has.
  • When asked if he has any problem playing small forward Tyreke responded “I have no problem at all.” Coach Williams then responded to Evans “That’s what you call starting controversy.”
  •  Monty hasn’t made a set role for Tyreke Evans yet saying he wants to see him play with Jrue, Eric, and Al-Farouq then make the assessments in October.
  • Monty’s main concern about playing Tyreke at the 3 is in late clock situations if he has to switch on a 4. Monty did not seem too concern about Tyreke playing the 3 on the offensive side believing his guys can figure it out.
  • Monty does seem to want to make it more of an emphasis to push the ball and increase pace.

1. dcarde

July 11, 2013 at 4:00 pm

I wish tyreke was holding a pelicans jersey instead of a hat……..when are those things going to be released!!!!!??

2. Pelican Poster

July 11, 2013 at 4:11 pm

Hooray for Tyreke as a Pelican…dude is a stud…what an improvement he will be to our ability to get to the rim…perhaps Loomis has Monty and Sean attending the same schools of thought on how to come up with some unique offensive sets…gonna be fun

3. Pelican Poster

July 11, 2013 at 4:13 pm

From the picture I get the impression that Dell’s smile shows he is happy to get his guy, but also that he can get what he wants from you with a smile on his face…Monty meanwhile casts his best Clint Eastwood pose…go ahead NBA…make my day

4. Roger.That.

July 11, 2013 at 4:41 pm

Tyreke looks almost as excited as Gordon did

5. jsl05

July 11, 2013 at 4:44 pm

A few things I noticed:
    1. Monty said that it means a lot to him for guys to want to play here.  That was said of Ryan Anderson last summer.  Could that be an indication that we don’t want to move him?
    2. From the post,  Monty hasn’t made a set role for Tyreke Evans yet saying he wants to see him play with Jrue, Eric, and Al-Farouq then make the assessments in October.
    After Al-Farouq’s name, he added “and the other guys we plan on signing.”

• Michael McNamara

July 11, 2013 at 4:47 pm

jsl05 To me that comment was 100% centered on CP3 the more I think about it. That was Dell and Monty’s first experience when they got here. Still bitter about it, I bet. Tide is turning now

• jsl05

July 11, 2013 at 4:51 pm

That’s an interesting and realistic take on it. What do you gather from Monty saying, “…and the other guys we plan on signing”?
        My guess is that these guys are minimum players (since that is all we can sign). Any specific guys?
        I can’t possibly see how we’d have roster space (in terms of # of players and PT) for this unless another trade formulates.

• Michael McNamara

July 11, 2013 at 4:55 pm

jsl05 Morrow and Steimsma. Also, the rooks. This roster is set. 14 guys on the roster. Maybe you bring in a SL guy on a non guaranteed salary. But rotation is set.

• jsl05

July 11, 2013 at 4:59 pm

Does that mean those signings are not official yet? I know Pierre’s signing can’t be until Holiday gets back from his honeymoon.

• Michael McNamara

July 11, 2013 at 5:06 pm

jsl05 Yeah, you can’t sign those guys until you are up to the cap, because essentially they were signed with exceptions

• Pelican Poster

July 11, 2013 at 6:18 pm

Michael McNamara jsl05 True dat…welcome to the Hornets Monty and oh by the way your best players are leaving…

• mateor

July 11, 2013 at 8:18 pm

I read it as a subtle warning to EG as well. Those pictures of him, Kaman and Aminu are still brutal. He kept public ally pushing that button, and we can’t afford that with so many young guys.

• Caffeinedisaster

July 12, 2013 at 8:05 am

Michael McNamara jsl05 I thought it was meant for Gordon

• Houpgarou

July 11, 2013 at 9:24 pm

Still Savin that last roster slot for antawn

6. Michael McNamara

July 11, 2013 at 4:46 pm

If I hear one more thing about jerseys, I a going to lose my mind!
    Greatest offseason in Pelicans history and people keep talking about fashion. Who cares?!?!? We will see them when we see them!
    *Rant over. Sorry.

• RonJohn63

July 11, 2013 at 5:07 pm

Michael McNamaraWho cares?!?!?
      Dedicated followers of fashion.

• Michael McNamara

July 11, 2013 at 6:58 pm

RonJohn63 Michael McNamara Touche

• DavidLeBoeuf

July 12, 2013 at 8:20 am

Michael McNamara You know I’m all about basketball.  But I’ve got to get my pelican swag game on point.  ya heard?

7. Michael McNamara

July 11, 2013 at 5:07 pm

For anybody who saw the press conference, did it remind you of this:

• RonJohn63

July 11, 2013 at 5:09 pm

Michael McNamara Is there a link to the interview?

• Michael McNamara

July 11, 2013 at 5:13 pm

RonJohn63 Michael McNamara We are going to have video up of it soon. Uploading now

• RonJohn63

July 11, 2013 at 6:28 pm

Michael McNamara RonJohn63 Inquiring minds want to know where it is…  🙂

• DruProductions

July 11, 2013 at 7:29 pm

Sorry but the audio from the video is bad and the mics at the conference wasn’t working so unless you’re a master lip reader my video is useless.
        But here’s a team link.http://www.nba.com/pelicans/video/2013/07/11/071113TyrekeEvansPressermov-2537656

• RonJohn63

July 11, 2013 at 9:06 pm

DruProductions Thanks.

• Pelican Poster

July 11, 2013 at 6:16 pm

Michael McNamara Ha!  They weren’t exactly low-talking as much as they were no-mic-ing!

8. Pelican Poster

July 11, 2013 at 6:22 pm

Dell – “I got some ice cream, I got some ice cream, and you can’t have none…”
    Tyreke – “I sure hope this is going to work out alright…hope they don’t think I’m a low-talker”
    Monty – “I can’t wait to go kick some a**…”

9. RonJohn63

July 11, 2013 at 9:08 pm

I guess Dell+Monty have learned their lesson on matching someone who didn’t want to be here.

10. jdtufts10

July 11, 2013 at 10:51 pm

So quick question for everyone: I am going to college in Dallas next year, and I would hate to be forced to watch garbage Mavericks basketball for a year, so I was wondering if there was someway I could get Pels games on the computer or something in that nature…. Any tips on how this could be made possible?

July 11, 2013 at 10:54 pm

jdtufts10 Check out your options for League Pass http://www.nba.com/leaguepass/index.html

• RonJohn63

July 11, 2013 at 11:36 pm

Jason Calmes jdtufts10 It might even be easier to see the games outside of the N.O. viewing area.

• DavidLeBoeuf

July 12, 2013 at 8:18 am

Jason Calmes jdtufts10 If I don’t have cable and live in NOLA, can I still get Pels games through nba league pass or will it be blacked out?  Between Apple TV and my antena box, the only reason I’m keeping my cable is Pels games.  Any ideas?  comments?

July 12, 2013 at 9:26 am

Blacked out in most cases.
        The NBA sells its TV rights so that basically if you want to watch locally, you have to through the provider if they are showing the game.

11. Caffeinedisaster

July 12, 2013 at 8:08 am

Can we not afford THREE mics? (one for Dell/Monty/Tyreke)

Or are we getting Tyreke used to sharing? (like sharing the ball w/Gordon/Jrue)