Sixth Pick Tournament Finals Set: With a Shocker and a Twist!

Published: June 23, 2013

Trey Burke came into this tournament as The Golden Child. A crafty, accomplished point guard that reminded many of former fan favorite, Chris Paul. Early on, it looked like he would cruise to to the Finals with the support of his mighty legion of fans. But a 7’1″ Ukrainian had something to say about that, and in the closest vote we have ever had, Alex Len edged out Mr. Burke. When we say that your vote counts, we mean it, as just seven votes separated the two men. Otto Porter, Jr. vs Victor Oladipo wasn’t as close, as Porter beat him by a 2-to-1 margin. So, it will be Porter vs. Len in the finals.

Wait, this just in. Another player has thrown his hat in the ring. Ben McLemore emerges and the Finals will be a three-way battle for the title: Sixth Pick Tournament Champion!

McLemore originaly was not in the tournament because it seemed impossible that he would fall to number six. The impossible now seems very possible, as rumors of poor workouts have McLemore slipping. Apparently Dell and McLemore’s agent think it is possible, because all of a sudden, McLemore will fly in for an interview just days before the draft.

So much like Daniel LaRusso in Karate Kid III, McLemore gets a trip to the Finals without having to face anyone else. But waiting for him will be a do-it-all small forward and perhaps the hottest prospect in the entire draft. Good luck with that Mr. McLemore, and thank you to all of you for letting your voices be heard in the sixth pick tournament. The Finals figure to be quite a doozy.

1. mojart

June 23, 2013 at 8:49 am

Exciting finals….whoever will be the pick the future is really bright for the pels

2. MasonGinsberg

June 23, 2013 at 9:27 am

All I know is that it was 199-199, and then all of a sudden it was 206-199. I think someone did a late stuffing of the box! I demand a re-count!

• palochak

June 23, 2013 at 11:38 am

MasonGinsberg¬†I saved my vote + Mama/Daddy P’s till the very end ūüôā

3. Papa Pelican

June 23, 2013 at 9:52 am

It’s like three trucks driving towards an one lane bridge whos going to make it to the bridge?

4. Jason Calmes

June 23, 2013 at 10:17 am

I appreciate any Karate Kid III reference. While the movie was pretty horrible, it was one of the best horrible movies there is.
    “Hit him, Mike! He’s hallucinating!”
    It has the best KK lady, too. No fan of the Shue. She ruined Cocktail, which is saying something, because so much was trying to ruin that one. Adventures in Babysitting needed a new babysitter.

• Michael McNamara

June 23, 2013 at 10:23 am

Jason Calmes¬†I was trying to fall asleep the other night and that was on. Couldn’t shut it off. So, so bad. Shame because the original still stands up today. Classic.

• Papa Pelican

June 23, 2013 at 10:24 am

The Next Karate Kid was worst.

• mateor

June 23, 2013 at 2:24 pm

As a man who worked behind too many of your favorite bars (and least favorite, probably) I can say with confidence that Cocktail is one of the worst movies ever. It can literally bring out the worst in otherwise kind and gentle souls.

June 23, 2013 at 4:43 pm

Papa Pelican  I sat through all 4 one night (ignoring the new one). Tough sledding. Even Peter Cetera take you only so far.

5. SnowofSX2

June 23, 2013 at 10:49 am

A 3 way race?! Man now it’ll be even harder to choose lol. I did have a dream that we drafted McLemore… is it a sign?

6. Houpgarou

June 23, 2013 at 11:20 am

Was hoping Burke would be in tourney cuz I really envision scenario where he and porter drop
    Cle noel
    Orl dipo
    Was Bennett
    Cha Len
    Phx mclemore
    Btw if its true mclemore is dropping like a stone and phx doesn’t want him but do want a sg, why not draft him for us, send along gortat for Gordon and Lopez. Then we can draft Otto and turn our attention to pg in july

7. Come On Pelican

June 23, 2013 at 12:13 pm

You guys at BSS are doing a great job analyzing the Pel’s draft options. At first, when we landed pick #6, I wasn’t too excited because I had the impression there weren’t a lot of viable choices. But now I see that the team could really snag an important contributor in the 1st round (personally I hope Trey Burke is available and is the Pelicans’ selection). I can’t wait for June 27 and then FA.

• Roger.That.

June 23, 2013 at 1:57 pm

How can you say you’re still hoping for Burke when you see we have a realistic chance to draft Ben McLemore?

• Come On Pelican

June 23, 2013 at 4:36 pm

I just don’t see McLemore dropping to 6, but he would definitely be a good pick if he’s available when the Pelicans make their choice. It would be interesting if McLemore is still on the board to see Dell deal Eric Gordon to Phoenix in exchange for the right to move up to pick #5 and then take Ben there, because I don’t see the Suns passing up on McLemore.

8. Durtnificent

June 23, 2013 at 1:51 pm

Another thought that ran through my mind when Ben joined the tourney was the “3rd man” incident when the NWO was first established. He’s playing the role of Hogan right before the heel turn. Here’s to hoping he drop kicks the Phx Gorilla, tears off his suit, and shows he had a Pelican shirt on the whole time. (Ok the perfect pairs post has intrigued me far too much)

• Michael McNamara

June 23, 2013 at 4:02 pm

Durtnificent¬†Can’t stop laughing at the visual. Nicely done.

June 23, 2013 at 10:42 pm

Michael McNamara Durtnificent Fingerpoke of Doom is, perhaps, on the horizon.

9. Jjambon

June 23, 2013 at 6:16 pm

Dear someone,
    How do I get to the blog? i haven’t known how since the website was redesigned. Help would be highly appreciated

June 23, 2013 at 6:18 pm

Jjambon¬†I don’t really know what you mean. I’m guessing you are talking about Journals. If you are, then you don’t. You submit an article for review by emailing it to <i>articles</i>.

June 23, 2013 at 6:18 pm

• Jjambon

June 23, 2013 at 6:25 pm

I think I remember there being a link for a “blog” on the site when it was “hornets247.com”.
        One could post things like trade ideas and other thoughts.

June 23, 2013 at 10:42 pm

Jjambon I think anything like that did not do that.

10. 504ever

June 23, 2013 at 10:23 pm

Well McLemore is dropping cause of handlers and hangers on (haven’t we seen a problem like that before) telling him he is so good, if this case so he doesn’t save to prepare for workouts. That’s a bit scary for fans and management alike.

11. Roger.That.

June 23, 2013 at 11:54 pm

Why do I not see an option to vote?

June 24, 2013 at 12:12 am

Roger.That.¬†Likely because the round hasn’t started, no arguments have been made, and stuff like that.

12. yaboytonez

June 24, 2013 at 6:49 am

I know nothing about McLemore. I never checked into him as I thought we could never get him. Is he the best guard in the class?

13. yaboytonez

June 24, 2013 at 6:57 am

So far I see his weaknesses are inconsistent D, very little playmaking ability, problems with on the bounce shooting…maybe these things could be fixed with coaching.