New Orleans Pelicans Sixth Pick Tournament

Published: May 24, 2013

And we’re back! After an incredibly successful Tenth Pick Tournament last year, we are proud to debut our bracket for the Sixth Pick Tournament today. The First Round will kick off on Monday and the tournament will stretch all the way through the Eve of the NBA Draft. This year, we have 16 contestants; thirteen prospects, and three trade scenarios (up, down, or for a veteran). Based on a site consensus, Nerlens Noel and Ben McLemore are not in this tournament because we feel that there is no way they could fall to #6, but if you really love those guys, vote for Trade Up!

Everybody else is in play, however, and what we ask is that you vote for who you want in that matchup. In this context, assume that the two guys in the matchup will be there and pick the one you would want the Pelicans to take. Also, go in with an open mind – It’s more fun that way. Some of these guys you probably saw a lot of, others a little of, and a few, maybe you have never seen. That’s okay, it’s OUR job to make the arguments; to entertain and inform. Listen to the arguments, do some research of your own if you like, and let your voice be heard by voting and by posting in the comments.

This should be a really fun tournament, as this draft appears to be wide open. Anything can happen, so let’s enjoy the next 34 days, learn a bunch, and have some fun! Sixth Pick Tournament starts in just 3 days. Are you ready?!

1. cdude9590

May 24, 2013 at 1:44 pm

So Burke’s winning, right?

• Michael McNamara

May 24, 2013 at 1:50 pm

cdude9590 That’s up to you guys I suppose. What I will say is that I hope everybody throws away preconceived notions and really goes in with an open mind and does additional research. I saw so many people say they don’t want anything to do with Saric, for instance – and, no offense, but I doubt 99% of our readers have ever seen Saric play.
      We will give a ton of info as always and provide you with additional links to research more on your own. With all that, we trust that our readers will make informed decisions, not just go with the big name or guy they saw the most in college because he was on TV more than others. Not saying Burke won’t be the choice anyway after all that is done. Point is, I just hope we all put the time in

• Roger.That.

May 25, 2013 at 7:21 am

cdude9590 I’m not voting for him.

2. jsl05

May 24, 2013 at 2:19 pm

Early Prediciton: Burke will beat Oladipo in the final.

3. shantadiva

May 24, 2013 at 2:44 pm

Given those bracket choices Oladipo will win for sure.  I’m still for trading down.  Many of those guys will still be available trading down.

• Michael McNamara

May 24, 2013 at 3:16 pm

shantadiva I’ll take that bet. Fans love offense and all I have seen is them question Oladipo’s. I could see him lose as early as round 2

4. Michael McNamara

May 24, 2013 at 3:25 pm

1st round matchups people are most excited about?

• twowatt8

May 24, 2013 at 3:26 pm

Zeller – Trade for Young Vet
      Muhammad – Len
      I don’t reallyt want Muhammad or Len, but I’m interested in seeing what others think between the two.

• jsl05

May 24, 2013 at 5:12 pm

CJ vs KCP
      I could’ve sworn Bennett and Zeller switched.

5. fearthepelicans

May 24, 2013 at 4:07 pm

Would like to see a round 2 matchup of Len and Zeller.

6. ericsnow

May 24, 2013 at 5:02 pm

Do yall where there would be any benefit long term if we agreed to swap our 6th pick for okc 12th pick and pj3 n lamb so okc could draft saric

7. usnfish

May 24, 2013 at 5:14 pm

Saric gets no favors being up against Oladipo in the first round.

8. jsl05

May 24, 2013 at 6:33 pm

Porter vs Schroeder is unfair.
    Carter-Williams vs Trade Up should be interesting.
    Bennett vs Trade Down is an exciting matchup.
    Oladipo vs Saric isn’t fair.
    Burke vs Adams should be closer than people will make it out to be.
    The Best Matchup: McCollum vs Kentavious
    Len vs Muhammad will be a close one
    Trade for young vet vs Zeller probably will be a blowout.

May 24, 2013 at 10:50 pm

jsl05 Sounds like someone may be voting based on preconceptions and not based on the merits of the cases before them.

• jsl05

May 24, 2013 at 10:52 pm

I don’t mean literally unfair. I just mean what I think based on what I’ve seen in boards and other sites and the majority of what I’ve seen. I’m going in with a completely open mind, and I hope everyone else does too.

9. eMariii123

May 24, 2013 at 6:59 pm

McCollum vs KCP should be good.
    I would’ve paired Zeller with Len, Shabazz with Saric, and Trade for young vet with Oladipo.
    Either way, i’m looking forward to learning more about these guys!
    Question – Does anybody know how to disable getting emails for every new comment someone posts? It is very annoying.

• Michael McNamara

May 24, 2013 at 9:44 pm

eMariii123 Hover over your name on the comments. Click on edit profile. There will be a tab called ‘Email Notifications’ and you can control it all from there
      Hope you enjoy the tourney. Looking forward to your comments

• eMariii123

May 25, 2013 at 1:21 am

Michael McNamara eMariii123 Thanks for responding, tournament should be great if its anything like last year. Keep up the good work!

10. mateor

May 24, 2013 at 7:37 pm

Trade the sixth pick for Emeka Oka for!

11. Hank_

May 24, 2013 at 11:06 pm

I think KCP is gonna end up being the pick whether we trade down or stay put. I big SG. A great defender and a great shooter and a very good rebounder. Exactly what dell and Monty are looking for. Reminds me of a SG version of Paul George. I think he has star potential

12. Hank_

May 24, 2013 at 11:18 pm

this draft has a ton of middle tier talent. alot of 6-7 guys. some potential

13. BowToTheBill23

May 25, 2013 at 12:37 am

The best matchup for me is KCP vs McCollum.
    My upset alert pick would be Schroeder over Porter. If the person arguing can convince people about his athleticism and scoring/driving ability, as well as being able to criticize for Porter for not being an elite athlete, being light, etc., and enough people go into the tourney with an open mind, I think Schroeder has a shot.
    I think trade for vet will be a bracket buster with the potential to win the whole thing. All I hear from Pelican fans is how badly they want to make the playoffs this year. If the person arguing for trade for vet can give some good reasons for how a young vet will push us over the playoff edge, it could get a lot of people excited.
    But overall, I just can’t wait. I loved the 10th pick tournament. I first found and fell in love with the site through those articles. I’ll go into it with in open mind, but if I had to predict now, I’d say Oladipo over Burke in the finals.

14. Papa Pelican

May 25, 2013 at 8:28 am

This is the weakest draft in years with three players that could become all-stars in a few years and about 5 rotation players and the rest bust.If the Pels want an future all-star player like .Odilapo,Burke or  Shabazz mind as well trade the pick.

15. lsutigers33

May 25, 2013 at 11:44 am

Here’s what I want to see:
    trade 6th for 17,18 pick.
    pickup 13th from Dallas for future 2.
    pickup 5th from phx for EG and 18th.
    draft olidipo at 5, and saric at 13, shabaz or larkin at 17.  Shabaz will slip but solid off the bench.

• lsutigers33

May 25, 2013 at 11:45 am

sry, have to pickup marion from dallas.

16. pelicans1213

May 25, 2013 at 12:49 pm

There are rumors on ESPN sayin that the T-Wolves are wanting to trade up to have a chance at Oladipo. He most likely wont be there at #6 but is there any chance the Pelicans could possibly trade their 6th pick for some assets from the T-Wolves and if so what could we get?

17. Roger.That.

May 25, 2013 at 2:00 pm

It’s pretty clear to me that Oladipo still being there for us at #6 is as big of a pipe dream at this point as Noel or McLemore still being there.

18. DamienJenkins

May 25, 2013 at 8:10 pm

I still think the best thing for the PELICANS is trade pick 6 and Gordon for pick 2 from orlando. We draft Otto or Ben and with the cap room chase BigAl or Pek or chase any point guard not named Lowry or Teague

19. lsutigers33

May 25, 2013 at 8:36 pm

only issue is you are giving away 2 players for 1 and that isn’t what we need.

• Michael McNamara

May 25, 2013 at 11:32 pm

lsutigers33 You cant think of trades in a vacuum. Yes, technically you would be giving up 2 for 1 at that moment, but with the extra 14 million you freed up from unloading Gordon, you can go sign Gerald Henderson, Chase Budinger, and Reggie Evans.
      So, the trade is not 6 and Gordon for Porter. It is:
      Henderson, Budinger, Porter and Evans for Gordon and number 6. Looking at it that way, does it become more appealing?

• DamienJenkins

May 28, 2013 at 7:26 am

Do u think dat dell would have the balls to pull a move like that or would he entertain it. Who says no to this trade though MIcheal Pelicans or Magic? And why

20. Aussie Pels Fan

May 25, 2013 at 9:34 pm

i could see oladipo or porter falling to us. apparently the wizards are very high on bennett, if they picked him i see a chance of porter or oladipo still being there when we pick

• Michael McNamara

May 25, 2013 at 11:34 pm

Aussie Pels Fan agree. I could see Bennett, Len, Zeller, and/or McCollum moving into the top five if teams fall in love. If one or two of those guys move up there, then guys from the projected top 5 as of right now fall to us.

21. BowToTheBill23

May 25, 2013 at 11:40 pm

All we need is 2 of: McCollum, Bennett, and Burke to get selected in the top 5 for Porter or Oladipo to slide to us. C’mon Magic, Wizards, and Suns!

22. yaboytonez

May 28, 2013 at 9:57 am

This bracket is cool. I may ultimately wind up voting to trade out of the pick.