Hornets Lose to Knicks as Davis Convalesces

By:
Published: November 20, 2012

The New York Knicks irrecoverably stomped the New Orleans Hornets in the first and the third quarters.

Any hope of a win here withered as soon as Davis was told he would not be dressing for the game. There’s just too much salary and too much talent not dressed in creole blue to battle teams who are hot, and the Knicks are among the hottest.

Grayson, bless his Aussie heart, had a good deal of trouble coming up with a plus for the Hornets in this game. To his credit, so did the Hornets in their 102-80 loss.

Jake had some key points for the game.

Clamp down on Shooters. Well, the Knicks had a FG% above the NBA median for the season, but they were slightly lower than their aggregate total. Still, I’ll say this was not met. Carmelo Anthony started and stayed hot through the first.

Strong Rotations and Help Defense. This was done half right. Although the Knicks had only 20 points in the paint, they buried 14 of 36 attempted threes. That’s a high volume of threes. The Knicks still win comfortably if half those made threes are changed to made twos.

Defensive Rebounding. The Hornets picked up 31 DRebs compared to 13 Knicks ORebs, or just over 70%. While this is an improvement over the 64% Jake quoted from the loss to the Bucks, it’s not good enough. That puts the Hornets slightly below their typical number, which is below the NBA median this season, but it is quite high for the Knicks. On the other side of the court (since there are two defenses), the Knicks grabbed about 88% of available defensive rebounds, leaving 12% for the Hornets. These figures would represent extremes in the NBA if sustained.

Attendance. Under 14,000. This is expected for a mid-week game during a down time following a down year. Get used to it. At least it does not matter in the ways it used to matter.

15 comments
Mickey Chatman
Mickey Chatman

I'm trying to stay calm about this but I will say that you Hornets fans......are becoming a disgrace. We lose four straight and all I see is negativity. This is OUR team and though I hate with a passion that they are losing. I hate some of the rotations. I hate some of the decisions. I hate that "injured" person not being dedicated.......The one thing though, I dont HATE my team or just BASH them. I cant wait for them to start winning. So if your actions apply to this message......do like the rest of the fans in this league and go jump on another team's bandwagon. I'm proud of my city and this team and I will back them up no matter what.

Mikey
Mikey

There are a couple of disturbing defensive trends emerging as the early season progresses. One is the Hornets defensive rebound rate borderline terrible, but we knew that. Another thing to take notice of is that teams are taking and making more 3's than they were in the beginning of the season. In the first 5 games of the season, 26% of opponents shot attempts were from behind the arc. During the last 4 games, that number has risen to 36%. That is an alarming jump. Just thought I'd share that.

Lucas Ottoni
Lucas Ottoni

Who do you prefer? Shabazz, Noel or Zeller? I'm already counting the days to the 2013 NBA draft...

Lanative
Lanative

I just have to keep telling myself that we're rebuilding. We'll get there though.

504ever
504ever

Maybe this post belongs here, too: The Knicks out rebounded us, out blocked us, out stole us, etc. They ended up taking 22 more shots that us. At an average 1 point/per shot that is your margin of victory. The Hornets were dominated, and Davis playing doesn’t change that. I doubt Davis and Gordon playing change that. Look at this and the OKC game to see how far behind the best in the League we truly are. There is still a lot of rebuilding still to do, and a lot of time to do it in.

Hornets686
Hornets686

When are we gonna trade Eric Gordon! Should have done Gordon for Harden!

Trackbacks

  1. […] The New York Knicks Overwhelm The Hornets, 102-80WWNOThe New Orleans Hornets dropped to second-to-last place in the Western Conference after their loss to the New York Knicks last night, 102-80. This loss drops the Hornets to 3-6. They have lost their last 4 games, and the Hornets defense has given up …Hornets Lose to Knicks as Davis ConvalescesHornets247 […]