Anthony “SkyNet” Davis

Published: July 27, 2012

Not a believer in the SkyNet nickname for Anthony Davis we’ve been pushing?  Give this video created by the excellent Andrew Smith a watch and maybe we’ll change your mind.  Or replace it with an AI and you’ll have no choice but to fall in line . . . or destroy us all, since this is, you know, a terminator thing.  Hmm.   Anyways . . . Watch the video!

1. QueenBee

July 27, 2012 at 10:43 am

Sounds like a lame forced nickname.

2. Sports Cloud

July 27, 2012 at 10:51 am

I love this. Is it silly? Of course but, what is Anthony Davis if not a defense system?

3. R.Womack

July 27, 2012 at 11:01 am

Im a hornets fan and that was wack!!!! I like the “BROWLER” personally

4. nolaDarius

July 27, 2012 at 11:06 am

The Uniblocker is perfect

• Jacob Chenevert

July 27, 2012 at 11:19 am

that’s a good one

5. br hornet

July 27, 2012 at 11:19 am

booo skynet

6. J

July 27, 2012 at 11:35 am

I’m with everyone else…I just don’t like this idea. It’s not even that it’s a “lame” nickname, per se, it’s that I don’t even see the connection between Terminator and Anthony Davis. It’s as though it was plucked out of the blue because it sounded cool. What’s the deal, guys?

• sean

July 27, 2012 at 12:04 pm

Not that i disagree with your reply here J, but i had to thumbsdown you, purely and simply cos i still cant get over the fact as to why you called Demps a “moron” yesterday?? Seriously dude, the guy is a magician, flat out.

• J

July 27, 2012 at 1:57 pm

Um…I didn’t post anything about Demps anywhere yesterday, man.

• Littlewing

July 27, 2012 at 2:00 pm

I see what happened…apparently the site somehow allows two people to have the same “Name.” I guess that’s what I get for not writing something longer. I suppose it’s safe to be Littlewing now, as the “other” J had some pretty dumb comments. Yikes.

7. BIGBREED

July 27, 2012 at 12:00 pm

“Sky net” sounds so corny! Next….

#NotCool

8. TrinchMan

July 27, 2012 at 12:07 pm

Skynet is still terrible nickname. Hes the uniblocker dude

9. Ryan Schwan

July 27, 2012 at 12:10 pm

Such vitriol! Of course, I care not for your spite! I was the one who called David West “Fluffy” for years, despite everyone hating it. Even David West said he didn’t like it.

• sean

July 27, 2012 at 12:25 pm

I would have thought you would have gone for something more like “Dungeons and skynet”

🙂

• Ron

July 27, 2012 at 1:27 pm

Fluffy is the stupid name of a stupid little dog, but at least it’s a name. That’s insulting to DWest.

Skynet, though, makes no sense, since it’s a network not an individual node.

It wold be proper, OTOH, to refer to the 1989 Pistons as Skynet.

10. Josh

July 27, 2012 at 12:29 pm

Thanks for the video. “SkyNet” is an okay nickname but surely not my favorite.

11. nolakid21

July 27, 2012 at 12:39 pm

This nickname sucks. SkyNet? What is that, some nerd handle on a video game?

12. DefensiveMind

July 27, 2012 at 2:33 pm

Nicknames should be organic. From something memorable you said, did, or something that occurs naturally. Michael “Air” Jordan, The Big Aristotle, The Big Fundamental, “King” James, “Magic” Johnson. SkyNet is not naturally occuring. Its forced. His name isn’t Arnold or John Connor (like the NFL Fullback) so there is no connection. He has a nickname. The unibrow or brow. Done and done.

13. kempleton

July 27, 2012 at 4:38 pm

I honestly do not like this nickname at the moment. I am not sure if I’ll like it in the future. Is there a reason for the hurry to put a nickname for Anthony Davis ATM? Are we trying to force this nickname so that we will not have to use a nickname that the national media (mainly ESPN) forces?

I don’t know… I just imagined a situation that I’m watching the replay of our NBA Finals game 1 on TV. Of course I watched it live in the Arena 🙂 It’s gotta be a good dream guys. Davis blocks Durant in a potential game-tying shot and the ESPN commentators go wild. “And SkyNet does it again! He has just broken the most blocked shots in an NBA finals game. Unbelievable!” Hmmm. That sounded good. I am not sure if it sounded good because of the nickname or because of the situation that I dreamed though… 🙂

• Andrew Smith

July 27, 2012 at 4:54 pm

Durant is going to get traded to the Eastern Conference in your future?

• Kempleton

July 27, 2012 at 9:33 pm

Why not? BTW, I meant to say Lebron. 🙂 Davis will take care of Durant in Western Conference Finals. I started the dream as the Western Conference Finals, then upgraded to the NBA Finals. It’s a dream. I should have said Game 7 of the Finals. 🙂

• Andrew Smith

July 28, 2012 at 5:07 am

Davis will destroy both anyway, nobody is safe

14. Buzz

July 27, 2012 at 5:51 pm

at risk of being torn to pieces, skynet is pretty good. i’m not sure what all the fuss is about. its better than uniblocker, thats just dumb.

15. RoRo

July 27, 2012 at 7:31 pm

I appreciate the passion and hard work to come up with nickname and video. But I didn’t like connecting Davis to the idea of being a robot and having artificial intelligence. Just one fan’s opinion.

16. nola hustle

July 28, 2012 at 5:48 am

Want something local so I’m sticking with

The big ez

17. Pingback: Hornets fans have a new nickname in mind for Anthony Davis | NBACATS.com

18. m_W

July 28, 2012 at 9:46 am

Skynet implies Davis is not human and will destroy humanity in nuclear armeggeddon. No thanks. Also, the video suggests Skynet is made, not born; and, thus, that Davis’ hard work had nothing to do with his success. Again, no thanks.

• Michael McNamara

July 28, 2012 at 9:56 am

The Matrix implies that Shawn Marion is not real. King James brings us back to a time where dictators ruled! Didn’t we have a war to flee from Kings?

I mean, come on- does everything have to be so literal? Nicknames are supposed to be fun.

SkyNet is a defense system that obliterates anything that attempts to attack it. Is Anthony Davis not projected to be the ultimate defense system with regard to the NBA game?

People don’t like it, thats’ fine. But I have yet to hear a better one, and to me, any nickname that involves his Unibrow will not suffice. I know he has accepted it as part of his brand to make money but it has NOTHING to do with his game.

More than willing to embrace any good, non-brow related nicknames if I hear one.

July 28, 2012 at 10:06 am

I still like The Second Line. Big Easy was also mentioned.

They’ve got local feel, but have decent interpretations elsewhere. Second line of defense, second line as in dynasty (in new orleans, at least, after Chris). Big Easy in the line of Big Aristotle, and he makes it look easy, be easy when approaching.

I like them.

I don’t care, above all. I’m sure life will present things and take things away.

I never really embraced any nicknames for any of my favorite players in any sport, or my favorite mathematicians (e.g. Milnor).

Nothing is perfect.

I liked the video nonetheless.

19. c-dog

July 28, 2012 at 8:08 pm

skynet = terrible

MR. FANTASTIC! ie, From the fanstastic 4

nuff said

20. Jacob Williams

July 28, 2012 at 9:01 pm

How about Anthony “Wow I Still Can’t Believe We Actaully Got Him” Davis

21. Jeff the Barbarian

July 29, 2012 at 7:49 am

Yes, SkyNet is pretty terrible. However, let’s face it, refusing to groom your eyebrow hair so that you can “brand” yourself as the guy who refuses to groom his eyebrow hair is equally ridiculous in my estimation.

22. Jeff the Barbarian

August 5, 2012 at 9:08 am

This nickname stuff is getting too complicated. If it’s all right with you all I’m just gonna call the guy Tony.

23. Chris

August 8, 2012 at 3:49 pm

Skynet is just plain awful. It is not creative, completely illogical, and just a terrible knickname.