Anthony Davis Plays Most of the Fourth Quarter in Team USA’s Win

Published: July 12, 2012

Anthony Davis played all but two seconds in the fourth quarter of Team USA’s win over the Dominican Republic, converting a four point play in the process.

update: Davis is officially in for the 2012 Olympics

After sitting the first three quarters, Anthony Davis started the fourth  on the floor for Team USA and stayed there almost throughout. The highlight of his night was obviously the three-pointer he hit while being fouled and then the free throw conversion for a four-point-play. Boom! He added a great rebound put back as well as a steal.

I got goosebumps.

That said, he bricked a step back J from the corner, appeared out of rhythm on the offensive end for a good chunk of the quarter, and worst of all– ran 15 feet deep into the crowd after being fouled on a post-steal layup. The Hornets future flashed before my eyes.

All in all Davis had a really solid first appearance for Team USA, scoring 9 points on 4 shots and adding the rebound I mentioned. He barely practiced with the Olympic team, never seeing any competitive action prior to being cut initially. He’s got a ways to go in terms of being on the same page as the rest of his teammates, but one thing is for sure– the guy has some skills.

At the bare minimum I expect that he’ll be a fantastic garbageman right off the bat. With some hard work, luck, and good coaching, the sky is the limit. One thing that I noticed is how every time the ball goes at the rim he’s so active in getting into position to do something if it doesn’t go in. Some guys just stand there and wait, but not Davis. His energy is awesome.

After the game…

• John Calipari said that the experience of playing in the Olympics and training with the best in the world would be worth two years of experience for Davis.
  • “Davis is not a key person,” according to Coach K. “He played eight minutes tonight and was really good. But for us to be staying with Argentina and Brazil it’s going to be these guys (motioning to Andre Iguodala).”

1. cloud520

July 12, 2012 at 10:31 pm

Love his energy and attitude. Can’t wait for the season to start. And ya, that run into the crowd scared the hell out of me.

2. pschafer

July 12, 2012 at 10:31 pm

I was so excited when he checked into the game, I could hardly control myself! Best thing about his performance is that there seemed to be no lingering affects from the ankle sprain.

3. unobarry

July 12, 2012 at 10:31 pm

Wish I could contribute, but that article is spot on. Definitely a work in progress, but I can work with averaging a point per minute.

4. Thechosenuno

July 12, 2012 at 10:34 pm

I was ridiculously impressed. Think about what he did. Little to no practice with the NBA’s rock stars, and he steps up big. He arrived today. You could see his nerves on the bench from his body language. You could tell he was saying in his head “holy shizz and I really playing with Durant, Kobe, Lebron” etc. They’re all comfortable around one another, and this kid hasn’t played a single nba game.

He’s only going to improve for Olympics as he gets more comfortable.

Also, totally looks like he buffed up his upper body.

Fear the brow!!

Ps–can we draft the HS sophomore now??

5. browcountrt

July 12, 2012 at 10:41 pm

How nice is it that AD is on the squad and Gordon is not…

• Mike Wr

July 13, 2012 at 8:09 am

A very petty thing to say. I suppose you’re also pleased with Blake Griffin getting injured to give AD the shot.

6. browcountry

July 12, 2012 at 10:43 pm

* browcountry

7. lsutigers33

July 12, 2012 at 10:44 pm

it shows you how big the NBA is when KD gives him a high 5 on the 3 and he’s just as tall as AD.

He looked a little sluggish toward the end.

CP and KD were the best players tonight.

• Thechosenuno

July 12, 2012 at 10:48 pm

Cp?? He barely played. AI was impressive.

• Nik

July 12, 2012 at 11:02 pm

Iverson played??? how did i miss that??? 2nd best player ever

• Thechosenuno

July 12, 2012 at 11:02 pm

Igoudala

• jmbell

July 12, 2012 at 11:06 pm

I was wondering about that, any suspected reasons for CP3 playing less than AD? Just getting the young/inexperienced guys more time or what?

• Nik

July 12, 2012 at 11:10 pm

i know i was jk’n also AI should be reserved for Iverson in reverence.. perhaps use iggy instead? it doesn’t help that they both play for philly too

CP3 had a thumb injury he was dealing with, they stated at the begining that he would be getting limited minutes

• DownUnder

July 13, 2012 at 9:26 am

I noticed that too, then hit the rewind and pause just to see if it was an illusion but nope, KD is just so rediculously tall for his abilities. Im pretty sure he looked taller than Blake at All Star Break as well.

8. NOS-3RD GEN

July 12, 2012 at 10:46 pm

That depends do OU have anyone whose great in mind. Also I wish I could’ve been or even seen it, but hopefully I’ll watch it ESPN when I get home.

9. Jason Calmes

July 12, 2012 at 10:49 pm

Even I was impressed.

• carpo

July 12, 2012 at 11:08 pm

but was Da Throne???

• Josh

July 12, 2012 at 11:17 pm

No. Check HR.

• da ThRONe

July 13, 2012 at 12:00 pm

It was a decent showing. But it wasn’t against quality competition and it didn’t answer many of the questions I have about him being anything but a really good player. Which is what I’ve been saying all along.

10. JJIF

July 12, 2012 at 11:03 pm

SNAP!! Missed it

11. Eric

July 12, 2012 at 11:07 pm

and our dynasty begins!!

12. Cornerstone

July 12, 2012 at 11:08 pm

Did I see him playing a lot at the 5 even with Chandler on the court? (especially on the defensive end)

13. Darren

July 12, 2012 at 11:08 pm

Right but I’m with Calipari and Monty Williams. . .we now have Anderson/Gordon/Rivers starting with Davis probably. His business should not be from 3 point land. Throw some bulk on the kid n give him an in defendable game from inside the paint and we have a championship in the future. He really should not be shooting from 3 for us, or ever, n this is primarily because lay ups are such a higher percentage. If 3s were worth 5 points, sure. . .but they aren’t lol.

• nolaDarius

July 12, 2012 at 11:11 pm

U make no sense if he can knock it down why not?

• Nik

July 12, 2012 at 11:15 pm

there is a rebounding disadvantage with bigs taking 3s but if he can spot up he seems to be able to knock them down ala kevin love (i don’t think he will get to durant level but who knows) .. also ppl forget he was a guard and had that shot before became 6’11”

• Darren

July 13, 2012 at 12:43 am

No I understand and don’t get me wrong, when wide open, go for it. . .I suppose it’s just our roster currently is shaping up to look like we have people already filling the 3 point role. Anderson lead the NBA, Rivers is poised to be a light skinned Iverson, and Eric Gordon has mean range. All in all, its an excellent problem to have, too many shooters.

• Allen

July 13, 2012 at 6:32 am

Don’t look too much into his 3 pointer…. It was a great shot, but he was only 3/20 from that range at Kentucky and the line is closer in FIBA play.

• Cornerstone

July 12, 2012 at 11:20 pm

That’s what we got Anderson for.

14. Kimbro Slice

July 12, 2012 at 11:09 pm

Yeah I agree with the comment that Anthony Davis looked like he got bigger. I believe it was Joe who said that Davis looked scrawny compared to the other USA players (I could very well be wrong) but he didn’t look to much smaller than them.
    Do you think he gained some weight?

• DownUnder

July 13, 2012 at 9:45 am

His arms look alot more muscular from college and almost as cut as the rest of the USA teams’, but its his core strength thats behind and that just comes from being a 19 year old teenager. Specialised Weight Training and Dieting will help but you cant speed up physical maturity. Thats why the NFL has a longer eligibility wait before players can declare for the draft out of college.

• SaintlyHornet

July 14, 2012 at 1:20 pm

Good Post. Anybody expecting him to be as physically strong as Tyson Chandler right now is just ridiculous. Chandler weighed 105 lbs at 19 lol!

15. mojart

July 12, 2012 at 11:14 pm

ESPN has a column on which team boast the big three of the future and guess wat NOLA is in der……^^,

16. Josh

July 12, 2012 at 11:21 pm

He played very well. He had tons of pressure on him. All these guys have great chemistry an are guys he looked up to just a few years ago, and now he’s playing with them. What really was great wa how well he responded on such short notice.

17. Leonel

July 12, 2012 at 11:37 pm

18. Bombay

July 12, 2012 at 11:44 pm

AD is officially better than Blake Griffin at this point because all Blake can do is dunk..Just think how wide open the lane will be for our gaurds if the other teams 5 have to account for AD shootin the 3..

19. Bombay

July 13, 2012 at 12:06 am

Hope Rivers does well sunday night..

20. Mike P

July 13, 2012 at 12:29 am

Right after he drilled that 3 and fell, 6 or so of his teammates, perennial All-Stars and possible future Hall of Famers, came to help him up and congratulate him. I feel bad for Griffin and the Clippers (a day or two after the max extension becomes official?? Really??), but being able to get a preview of our future star in a USA jersey is just incredible. This offseason (sans Gordongate) just gets better and better

21. John in MO

July 13, 2012 at 1:42 am

AD is a great addition to the Olympic team. This was a killer debut. Now that it is official, I find it interesting that the first time we will see AD on the floor with Chief will be as his opponent. Anyhow, not hard to see the greatness here. I can’t wait for next season!

22. Ryan

July 13, 2012 at 7:37 am

Unfortunately I was unable to watch the game but who were the other guys on the court with him?

July 13, 2012 at 7:51 am

Buncha scrubs! One guys looked familiar, but I don’t remember his name.

23. tmb1978

July 13, 2012 at 8:13 am

Solid debut. If you extrapolate his performance out over 48 minutes (like those scouts do, they’re hilarious!!!) he would have scored 36 and grabbed 4 rebs. Doesn’t make much sense to do so. However, if his first game would have been in summer league, it may have been a 20-10-5 show. The 5 being blocks, that is.

24. Kempleton

July 13, 2012 at 8:30 am

Don’t you love it?

I just went to ESPN/nba this morning and I see Lebron and Durant helping Davis get off the floor! Titled “Looking Golden?”

I hope they will make it official soon and Davis will go to the Olympics.

I bet the photo was taken after Davis made his 3-pointer and got fouled.

One detail about the photo: Everybody smiles but Kobe Bryant. Another reason to hate him if you are on the same boat with me. 🙂

Davis will get a great experience out there. I wish Pop was still an assistant coach. But, that’s OK. Coach K, D’Antoni, McMillan! He will learn a lot from those guys, and will report to our training camp with an even enhanced winning mentality!!!

• NOH Domination

July 13, 2012 at 11:55 pm

I’ll give a thumbs up for any Kobe hate.

25. Hollis21

July 13, 2012 at 8:41 am

I was so excited when I saw he was checking in. When he hit that three and got fouled, I was pretty pumped! I don’t expect to see him shooting threes all day, but since he was a guard before his growth they can be hit. It’s a weapon that likely wouldn’t be in effect too often but can be a good help.

Now to watch the Hornets Sunday!

26. ImSorryMonty

July 13, 2012 at 9:05 am

His shooting stroke on that 3 was incredibly pure for his size.

27. Kyle

July 13, 2012 at 1:15 pm

First impression for me was that he looked big. He could still stand to bulk up, but it shows that he’s working. He definitely looked awkward out there, but it’s a good sign that he played well with little to no practice. I look forward to this getting the jitters out of his system. when they showed the bench, everybody was laughing and talking except Davis. Definitely looked like the new kid. Can’t really blame the guy, though. This should help his psyche tremendously as he learns from some of best how to have fun while working hard. A little more gold would go nicely with his creole blue! U-S-A! U-S-A!

28. Jae504

July 13, 2012 at 2:57 pm

What did some of you Expect from the Guy..He played 9min..He didnt wanna Step on anybody Toes and he Played Excellent..Give him
    20min and We’ll see alot More..We’re gonna be So good this year..And Just to let y’all know..Darius Miller is a Baller..We’re set at SF for the Next 10yrs

• Bombay

July 14, 2012 at 7:32 am

I also believe Darrius Miller can contribute possibly start for us at the 3..Dude has got a wet jumper…