In the NO Podcast Episode 71: What do you want for 10?

Published: June 20, 2012

Michael and I talk about trades involving the tenth pick. What we want in return for it, what picks we could get for players like J-Smitty and Ayon, and what sort of players will be available later in the first round.

Lastly, Michael coins a new nickname for Anthony Davis that I can get behind. Tell us what you think?

8 Days until the draft!

Enjoy the Podcast! Want it on Itunes?

1. nikkoewan

June 20, 2012 at 6:45 am

Doubt UTH goes for that trade but would ABSOLUTELY LOVE THAT

2. chunk

June 20, 2012 at 6:50 am

Great podcast, after every one i find myself sad its over. I really wish the podcst would be longer. I know there is only so much you can talk about but with the great quality product yall are producing i think fans of the site would love it . Great show and Go Hornets!!!……………..PS Skynet is like the worst nickname ever terminator is better lol.

3. nikkoewan

June 20, 2012 at 7:04 am

BTW I won’t spoil the nick name for anybody who wants to listen to the podcast, I LIKE IT – LOVE IT!!! LOVE IT!!! IT WORKS

4. Jordan J.

June 20, 2012 at 8:01 am

Um, I have a trade idea-

Hornets get: Kyle Lowry, Bobcats 31st pick
    Bobcats get: Hornets 10th pick, Rockets 14th and 16th pick, and Trevor Ariza
    Rockets get: Jarrett Jack, Bobcats 2nd overall pick

Hornets dump Ariza’s contract, get Lowry.
    Bobcats get multiple picks like they wanted, and a quality veteran.
    Rockets can draft a stud now instead of middle of the draft quality guys like they’ve draft the past 65,000 years.

• Michael McNamara

June 20, 2012 at 10:32 am

Rockets would definitely do it. Hornets 50/50, and Bobcats 50/50 as well, depending if they can turn some of those picks into other vets.

When you break down the advanced stats, Lowry and Jack are very similar. Lowry gives you more defense, but Jack gives you more intangibles like team leadership.

Personally, I don’t think Lowry is a big enough upgrade over Jack to give up the 10th pick.

Original trade, though. Nice.

• 504ever

June 20, 2012 at 12:00 pm

What about 10 plus Jack for Lowry plus 16? 10 for Lowry and trade Jack for somewhere around 21, which is what we ended up ‘paying’ for him?

Ariza and Okafor are gone in two years at most, and we are $10+M under the tax line in 2012-13 anyway. That is after re-signing Gordon to something around our original offer and not using any signing or trade exemption.

There is no rush to dump Ariza or Okafor now and give up something to do it. They will be expiring contracts in 2013-14 and some team will want each of them then. Plus Okafor needs a good part of next season to show teams he is healthy.

• Jordan J.

June 20, 2012 at 12:06 pm

I think trading aria will make room for the amino project to get more minutes and start.

• Mason Ginsberg

June 20, 2012 at 1:13 pm

I can’t see Houston getting older and less talented at PG just to move up 6 spots, when the reality is that the difference between picking 10th and 20th in this draft might not be terribly significant. I would pull the trigger on that deal in an instant, though. Doubt Houston would do the same.

5. George

June 20, 2012 at 8:29 am

I’m pretty confused as to why you both argreed you would sign Ibaka to a max contract yet argue Ariza is overpaid? Compare Ariza’s past playoff performances to Ibaka’s current performance in the finals and I think think they are on par, maybe Ariza has a slight edge. I understand Ibaka is younger but do you really think he has that much more room to grow?

6. Josh

June 20, 2012 at 10:52 am

1. No to Ariza +10 for Jefferson + 7
    2. No to Smith/Ayon for 21
    3. No to 10 + Okafor for 21,22, O’neal (because O’neal was waived a while back)
    4. No to 10 for 21, 22
    5. No to 10 + Smith/Ayon for 14, 16
    6. No to 10 + Okafor for Davis, Bargnani, 37
    7. No to 10 + Ariza for Collison, Hansborough, and Jones
    8. No to 10 + Ariza for Jennings, Brockman, Sanders (b/c Jennings wants big market)
    9. No to 10+ Ariza + Smith for Deng, 29
    10. Maybe to 10 for Beubois/Calahtes +17
    11. Probably to 10 + Ariza for Hayward, Bell, GSW protected pick (top 7), 2nd round pick this year
    12. Maybe to 10+Ariza for Milsap, Burks, 2nd round pick but no to Josh Smith
    13. I like the nickname (don’t want to spoil it).
    14. Monty and Dell said that they are building the team around Gordon (I posted a link to that a month or two ago) and say he is still the team’s best player.

I would trade 10+Ariza for 8 (Toronto). They have a trade exception and can absorb Ariza’s contract without giving us back a contract. They also want a veteran small forward.

I would try to trade 10+Ariza for 5.

I would

7. Bradley Schneller

June 20, 2012 at 11:04 am

The only thing I’m worried about with the Millsap’s trade is that after this year his contract is up. Wouldn’t his cost be way more than his worth on the next contract? If we don’t resign him than all we are left with is Burks and a 2nd rounder for shedding Ariza’s not horrible contract. Thoughts?

June 20, 2012 at 11:31 am

Is “cap room” another way to say “nothing?”

8. Mike P

June 20, 2012 at 1:09 pm

called the Pek thing a month or so ago

9. Josh

June 20, 2012 at 1:43 pm

I guess no trades involving Ariza and Okafor matter since they’re now with the Wizards, and we have Rashard Lewis. I believe someone predicted that a few stories ago we would get Lewis.

• VeezyV

June 20, 2012 at 1:59 pm

Question is why tho?

• Hornets686

June 20, 2012 at 4:19 pm

I predicted it! Knewwwwwwwwww it!

10. Hornets686

June 20, 2012 at 3:53 pm

Hornets get:
    Brandon Jennings
    Drew Gooden

Bucks get:
    10th Pick
    Al-Farouq Aminu
    Greivis Vasquez

We get out PG of the future! We know he can play!

Bucks add more young guys to build around Ellis and now have two lottery picks!

11. Ron

June 20, 2012 at 6:04 pm

If Drummond is on the Board I think Houston, Boston & Philadelphia will call with trade offers.

I would love the 10th to Philadelphia for the 15th & Evan Turner. We draft Rivers
    or
    The 10th to Houston for both the 14 & 16. We draft Rivers & Q. Miller

12. El Vigga

June 20, 2012 at 10:08 pm

All we need is Davis and Rivers thank you

13. cenafan363

June 22, 2012 at 11:24 am

Bes Nickname for AD……THE HUMAN LEVEE!!!!!