Get Your Trade Proposal Certification Right Here

Published: March 3, 2012

Hornets247.com is taking the trade deadline very seriously, and if you’re not with us, then you are against us!

Look, I don’t mean to come off as a snob or an elitist, but I take trade proposals very seriously and I don’t think it should be something that just anybody can do. Now I know the internet is supposed to be a place that celebrates free speech and gives us all a voice, yada, yada, yada- but sometimes only the educated should get a chance to speak, and this is one of those times damn it!

The NBA trade deadline is my Christmas, and I am tired of people throwing broken toys under the tree. I see trades that make no sense for the Hornets, and even more that are completely moronic for the other team. I see people propose trades with no regard for any of the CBA rules, and I come across even more trades that fly in the face of everything we know about how teams are built. I am tired of it, and it is not okay anymore. I am demanding that people become certified to make trade proposals, and Hornets247.com just happens to be the only place that can issue you a federally recognized license. All you need to do is answer the questions below and send them to: mcnamarahornets247@yahoo.com.

If you pass, you will get an official license. If not, perhaps an NFL trade proposal certification is more your speed. The test is not timed, but we are on the honor system- No going to other sites to look up answers to these questions. You either know it or you don’t. Good luck to all of you, the test begins…. now!

1.) What is a trade exception and how long does a team have to use it?

2.) Team A has a 28 year-old center who has 3 years and 32 million dollars on his contract. He is rarely injured and averages 11 points and 9 rebounds a game on 51% shooting. Team B is offering bad players with expiring contracts and a 2019 2nd round pick in exchange for Team A’s center. Under what conditions would Team A say yes? Under what conditions would they say No?

3.) Who won the Carl Landry for Marcus Thornton trade and why?

4.) Do you believe that other teams will trade their best player to your team for crap just because “He wants out and they don’t want to lose him for nothing!”?

5.) When thinking about the trade from the other teams’ perspective do you..

a.) Make sure the salary matches up

b) Check on salary and that teams’ needs

c) Consider what the other 28 teams around the league could offer as well

d) All of the Above

e) None of the Above

6. Who says no to the following trades and why? Can choose more than one party to say no. (50 word maximum answer for each)

Trade 1: Hornets send Okafor, Minny pick and Jack to Boston for J. O’Neal and Rondo

Trade 2: Hawks send Joe Johnson, Kirk Hinrich, and Marvin Williams to Boston for Ray Allen and KG

Trade 3: Lakers send Luke Walton and two 1st round picks to Hornets for Emeka Okafor and Jarrett Jack

Trade 4: OKC trade Cole Aldrich and Thabo Sefolosha for Michael Beasley

7. Finally, in 250 words or less please tell us why you want to be certified and what you would do with this power should you be granted permission to wield it.

1. Michael McNamara

March 3, 2012 at 8:14 pm

Sorry, I have to delete all comments that have the answers in them. People will cheat and this certification is too valuable to just give away!

• Brennan

March 3, 2012 at 11:27 pm

that makes sense but where do we send our certificate of knowledge?

2. Chuck

March 3, 2012 at 11:13 pm

I would have added a question about the amnesty clause, because it seems a lot of people are under the impression you can amnesty a guy that you trade for

3. Michael McNamara

March 4, 2012 at 6:02 am

If you tried to post your answers here, please send them to me via email instead: mcnamarahornets247@yahoo.com

Ryan in the Hottub- no need to retype yours, I already saw them and your certificate is waiting. Just email me and let me know your last name.

4. 504ever

March 4, 2012 at 8:08 am

What’s wrong with posting all answers people propose, or those people post? It’s not like failing to do it will stop the knuckle heads from suggesting more ridiculous trades.

Maybe posting attemps at answers will educate some people enough that they would stop proposing ridiculous trades! And isn’t that your goal?

March 4, 2012 at 8:21 am

People are educated before taking tests, then taking tests tells the student how well they did at internalizing that education and what they need to work on.

Looking at answers to questions helps, but those examples are ALL over the place.

Generally, looking at someone’s answers on tests when there was ample opportunity to look elsewhere is frowned upon and discouraged. Universities, for instance, fail you on that test and expel you (in some cases). I have taken at least 2 cases to honor boards for that matter, and worked a couple others through other channels.

• Michael McNamara

March 4, 2012 at 8:49 am

And I do plan on posting the answers, along with all of our graduates later this week. So far only one perfect score- leader in the clubhouse for Valedictorian.

March 4, 2012 at 9:56 am

And it wasn’t me!

I didn’t give a complete answer for one . . . lazy . . .

• CP3nBrees

March 4, 2012 at 4:26 pm

hey at least I passed.

5. da ThRONe

March 4, 2012 at 10:45 am

I have to admit I’m a little unclear how trade acceptions work. Being a diehard hoops fan it’s kind of embarrassing to admit. I was hoping with the new CBA that the league would have done away with such confusing salary cap and trade exceptions and got down to something much simplier.

Anyways off to google “NBA trade exceptions”.

• da ThRONe

March 4, 2012 at 10:48 am

*exceptions

March 4, 2012 at 12:50 pm

If it helps, you can try “traded player exceptions.”

You guys want some `classes’ on this crap, including some of the REALLY boring stuff like Base Year Compensation? Or how teams that look like they are under the cap are actually over the cap if they want to be, and why that may be a good thing?

Do ya? Huh?

Sounds like a great summer series . . .

6. JAMRenaissance

March 5, 2012 at 1:56 pm

I think the hardest part of this quiz is fitting my answers into 50 words. 🙂

7. Pingback: Game On: Hornets @ Blazers | New Orleans Hornets | Hornets247.com

8. Justin

April 14, 2012 at 6:52 pm

Now that some time has passed could you post the answers for us in the dark to learn a little bit?

9. Josh

July 5, 2012 at 10:45 pm

Answers?

July 5, 2012 at 11:04 pm

did you email Mike?

• Josh

July 5, 2012 at 11:08 pm

I didn’t do it, but on one of the comments above he said he would post them.

July 5, 2012 at 11:10 pm

That Mike . . . that little scamp!

Try work them out, then email.

• Josh

July 5, 2012 at 11:14 pm

Ok. Ben and I are doing a combined application because we just texted each other what we thought were the answers and we agreed on most.

July 5, 2012 at 11:23 pm

When I was teaching at a major university, there was a word for that . . .

Can you guess what it is?

• Josh

July 5, 2012 at 11:31 pm

There are a few different things. But we’re just friends in highschool.

July 5, 2012 at 11:41 pm

They called it the same thing in high school.

Two people working on the same assignment when there’s only one `grade’ to be had . . .

• Josh

July 5, 2012 at 11:42 pm

cheating

July 5, 2012 at 11:49 pm

Ha. That’s right.

I’m just cracking your nuts.

Compare notes, LEARN, submit slightly different answer sheets, and you’ll each get a certificate. It’s not too late, but you gotta at least make an effort to disguise the efforts.

• Josh

July 5, 2012 at 11:46 pm

Fine. You don’t have to count it. We just wanted to know the answers.

• Ben

July 5, 2012 at 11:52 pm

IVe never met that josh kid in my life

July 5, 2012 at 11:55 pm

Heard it all before, junior!

My homework ate my dog and isn’t feeling well!

• Ben

July 5, 2012 at 11:55 pm

Haha jk josh. Don’t you dare copy my answers. And don’t worry I didn’t use any of your answers. I just used mine with a little editing

• Ben

July 6, 2012 at 12:19 am

Hey and josh and I may only be in high school. But together there’s a good chance we’ve got more hornets and nba knowledge then everyone on this site but the writers. #justsayin

July 6, 2012 at 12:21 am

Moxie, I like it.

Keep that, but keep your eyes and ears open. If you do that long enough, you’ll pass us, too.