I hope we get to see Vasquez play along side Gordon at some point this season. With Gordon being a little undersized for the two and being able to attack the paint i think that they would compliment each other well, especially if Vasquez can improve his outside shooting.
« Announcing a New New Orleans Tradition: Lindi Gras
Game On: Hornets @ Linsanity
The Hornets visit New York and get the experience of Linsanity in the Garden first hand. We give you the keys to a Hornets victory.
The Knicks are a hard team to read. Their first 23 games or so were a disaster with solid defense and worse offense. Their last 7 games have been much better with great defense and solid offense. Which set of data should I use?
Don’t be fooled, however. Even with Jeremy Lin providing them with the vital ability to penetrate a team’s defensive perimeter, the Knicks aren’t an amazing offensive team. It’s been their defense, anchored by Tyson Chandler, Iman Schumpert, and a few other defensive specialists that’s made this team rip off seven straight wins.
To break the Knicks’ defense, the Hornets need to do two on the offensive end:
- Take the ball to the rack. Tyson Chandler is absolutely vital to the Knicks defense – as he was in Dallas last year, and with the Hornets before that. He is, however, foul-prone at times and you take him out and their defense becomes much less impressive. The Knicks as a whole are also one of the worst in the league at fouling – allowing a huge free throw rate for opponents. The Hornets need to take advantage of that.
- Crash the boards. Face it, the Hornets aren’t a great shooting team. Going against a good defense, that’s going to become even harder. However, if the Hornets use their length, they can grab offensive boards against the Knicks, who are mediocre on the glass.
To break the Knicks’ offense, the Hornets need to do three things on the defensive end:
- Pack the paint. The Knicks aren’t great shooters, and rely heavily on the pick and roll to get easy shots at the basket by Chandler and Stoudemire, who are two of the best roll finishers in the league. Go under every screen. Jam the roll man and let them take long shots.
- Throw periodic full-court pressure at Jeremy Lin. Lin’s big weakness is his turnovers. Every once and a while, just to keep him off-balance, pressure him hard and see if you can get a few easy buckets.
- Don’t turn the ball over. New York has a good number of speedsters and finishers at the rim. Any sort of turnovers will result in easy points going away. The Hornets can’t give up those easy points or they are doomed.
Enjoy the game!
If we can keep Kaman instead of Okafor and trade Landry and Jack for picks or young players we'l lbe fine with what we have for the rest of the season. Ayon is becoming a double double machine.
Why trade Okafor or Jack? Okafor is playing well, and there is an article at Hornets24/7 that details this. And while Jack isn't a high quality starting PG in the NBA, he is the best the Hornets have. Also, the Hornets have no guarantee of signing Kaman when his contract expires and you can use his cap space to offer Gordon. So why not deal him and get something (including a trade exemption)?
Okafor and Jack starting = losses Kaman and Vasquez starting = wins Dont get me wrong, Okafor is an above average centre, but Kaman is the type of player than can suddenly erupt and have big games like the win against Utah. Plus his shooting range is way better and rebounds well too. He's a true 7 footer and although Oak is better defensive player individually, Kaman is showing us that he can play team defense. As for JJ, I think that he just forces things too much and though he's a better scorer than Vasquez, he still can't run the team from the point. On the otherhand Vasquez is better passer and with his 6'6 frame he's a unique PG with good ballhandling skills and court vision. Least we forget he's a second year player on his second team.
Where are all the' trade Ariza' posts tonight? I sure hope keep Ariza. Also, the Hornets win with an entire starting line-up (four of whom start) with DNPs. WOW! Ayon and Vasquez have double doubles as starters. If they end up coming off of the bench against opponents' back-ups, they should clean up. What if we could pick up a young starter quality PG (and a pick and/or promising young player) for Kaman? That would be great.
Monty should put Sloan in, his speed is better suited for this sort of game. Also, Jack is playing too fast and making some suspect decisions.
Knicks radio guys reasonable, if messed up on some facts. Complimenting our length and defense. We need to capitalize on this lead... play differential can't keep up.
This is definitely a game the Hornets can win. I think Ryan's game points are spot on. I predict Trevor will have a big game. Get an early lead and then don't let up, Hornets!
btw NY fans are having a live chat... http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/knicks/2012/02/live-new-orleans-hornets-6-23-vs-knicks-8-pm i think NO fans should join and cheer on the forecoming upset and the hornets 3rd straight win..