I love the way we play well for 3 quarters, then fall flat on our face in the 4th. Show everyone our potential, but don't win the game. Brilliant if you ask me! #PingPongBalls Insert Gordon and Anthony Davis, etc next year and playoffs here we come. Just hang in there Hornets fans! You all will be rewarded.
Same story, different day: Hornets stumble late, lose again
|Trevor Ariza, SF 33 MIN | 2-10 FG | 0-0 FT | 3 REB | 2 AST | 5 PTS | -1Quite possibly his worst performance this season. He just couldn’t get anything going offensively and he seemed to get unusually frustrated by the missed shots coupled with a few no-calls. Ariza is a 4th or 5th option on a good team, but with Jack and Gordon out, he was once again asked to do too much- and predictably, he failed.|
|Jason Smith, PF 31 MIN | 2-11 FG | 2-2 FT | 7 REB | 0 AST | 6 PTS | -6The shots weren’t falling tonight, but Smith was still all over the place, impacted the game in other ways. If Smith is willing to put it all on the line in a game that is the 4th in 5 nights, on a team that is now 4-19, you know he has the kind of determination and character the that this team will need moving forward. He just needs to know better than to take it up strong on the immortal Tiago Splitter.|
|Emeka Okafor, C 21 MIN | 4-7 FG | 0-0 FT | 5 REB | 0 AST | 8 PTS | +2In what was somewhat of a theme tonight for Hornets front line players, ‘Mek got in foul trouble and became a non-factor. He hit a nice jumper at the end of the half to put the Hornets up 1, but nothing really stood out other than that.|
|DaJuan Summers, F 13 MIN | 3-5 FG | 0-0 FT | 1 REB | 2 AST | 7 PTS | -5Picked up two quick fouls and made some nice plays as the game was slipping out of the Hornets reach. Best thing you can say about him is that inserting him into the starting lineup allows Belly to come off the bench where he is clearly more comfortable.|
|Greivis Vasquez, PG 34 MIN | 7-14 FG | 2-4 FT | 3 REB | 5 AST | 16 PTS | -17Started off 7 for 8, finished 7 for 14. Basically, Greivis was a microcosm of the team- both in this game and for the season. His final numbers look solid, but don’t be fooled, Vasquez was severely outplayed by his counterpart Tony Parker tonight.|
|Carl Landry, PF 28 MIN | 8-12 FG | 1-2 FT | 4 REB | 1 AST | 17 PTS | -17Had a nice stretch in the first half, but he gave up far too many buckets on the other end of the court to get anything higher than a B. Also, it would be nice if Landry attacked the paint more, instead of settling for those 18 foot jumpers. 6 for 7 in the paint, 2 for 5 on jumpers.|
|Marco Belinelli, SG 29 MIN | 3-6 FG | 4-4 FT | 1 REB | 1 AST | 11 PTS | -10Had a nice showing in the first half, but like the rest of the team, he disappeared in the fourth. Belinelli seems more relaxed coming off the bench and it will be interesting to see if Monty continues to bring him off the bench while Gordon is still recovering. If he continues to play like this, perhaps the Hornets can convince some team to take him off their hands in March.|
|Gustavo Ayon, PF 16 MIN | 1-2 FG | 1-2 FT | 8 REB | 0 AST | 3 PTS | -3He scored on an aggressive move across the lane in the first half, and then never attacked again. He was in a bit of foul trouble, but he needs to be more aggressive on the offensive end. If Monty sees Bonner on Ayon, he should be yelling “Ataque!” every time.|
|Al-Farouq Aminu, SF 21 MIN | 1-2 FG | 2-2 FT | 4 REB | 1 AST | 4 PTS | -8Fortune favors the bold. If that saying is true, expect Aminu to file for bankruptcy shortly. He is so afraid of doing something wrong, that he simply isn’t doing anything. He stands around on offense, and when he does touch the ball he is immediately looking to pass. Hey Al-Farouq, this team ain’t making the playoffs, so there is nothing to screw up.|
Five Things We Saw
- Another brutal fourth quarter that saw the Hornets settle for way too many jumpers, only hitting two. Makes me think there was just nothing in those legs because they were taking the same shots in the previous quarter and hitting them. 4th quarter shot chart looks a lot like the third, just more X’s, less O’s.
- Whoever is covering Al-Farouq Aminu just watches the ball the entire time, as if they have no fear that Aminu will hurt them. And why should they? Aminu should recognize that his defender is looking elsewhere and make a sharp cut to the hole or go backdoor. Instead he just stands and waits. Stands…. and……waits.
- I could never say this when he was here, but I always thought it and I can say it now- “Tony Parker is a much better finisher at the rim than Chris Paul.” Go ahead, tell me about the one time Paul did this or Parker missed that, I don’t care. I have seen both guys hundreds of times and I will always be convinced this is the case. Need I remind anybody about the All-Star Skills Challenge?
- Hard not to compare Tiago Splitter and Gustavo, but I think Ayon could be even better. Splitter has been fantastic this year, but Ayon has more versatility in his offensive game and can guard out on the perimeter. Splitter was okay last year, but has really blossomed after becoming acclomated to the league. Can’t wait to see what Ayon does with a year under his belt and a full training camp.
- Jarrett Jack essentially filled in for Monty tonight, bringing the passion that Monty used to stalk the sidelines with back when the Hornets actually had the talent to win an NBA game. His leadership shows that we need to keep vets on this team to help devlop the young kids. A team full of 20-23 year olds would be a disaster, in a blind leading the blind kind of way.
Greivis had a tough night against Parker, but he showed that is our young player who will more evolve. I love the Vasquez' game. And the terrible Aminu continues stinking...
tough game, ariza and smith were cold tonight...really cold.. i thought almost everyone else played pretty well, on a side note I really think if they had gordon the hornets would be fighting for or in the playoff race, the west is really competitive and the hornets and played most teams tough...but were going to suck for a year and get 2 lottery picks..then right back into the playoffs! p.s. i cannot stand matt bonner how is he in the league!
i've a trade.Trade Kaman to the Pacers for Louis Admunson,George Hill,Tyler Hansbrough and the 2012 1st rd pick and Ariza & Xaiver Henry to the Raptors for Barbosa,James Johnson and 2012 2nd round pick you get 3 expired contract and 2 team option contracts
No way this would happen for two reasons: 1. Kaman is not good enough to trade for that much 2.The reason the Hornets got Henry anyway was that Monty wanted him on the team because he hated having to coach against him(this was said when the trade happened). 3. Why would you get rid of the defensive stopper on the team, a team needs to have that guuy that can be asked to guard a Lebron or Rudy Gay every night. 4. The Hornets are trying to tank this year by no means. 5. This trade creates so much clutter on the bench like no ones business.
the one thing is when Farouq would make the cuts to the basket seen a few time they didn't even give him a look landry one play could have dumped it to him for an easy duce but decide to take his 18 foot jumper that didn't go in kinda reminds me of david west a lil bit when mek use to be open for and easy bucket and passed him up and took the shot and missed but every one needs to give Farouq a chance once he gets his head on straight and learns to control all that energy he brings watch out and when he does every one can say bye bye to ariza
It's a shame the team lost again in the 4th. Parker really took advantage of Greivis in the final quarter, but I'm still glad to see Greivis having two solid games offensively, especially with Jarret Jack out. Maybe he should play SG more. Anyway, hopefully he can keep it up because he works hard out there.
Agree. I'm a little baffled by running a lineup of small forwards. We might be long with that lineup but quick and agile we're not, especially when Jack is out. That said, quick and agile doesn't seem to be our style. We're more of a lumber-around-in-the-half-court-set type of team.
I agree, but then give Summers Aminu's role and have Aminu look after the water cooler and cheerleading