Celtics at Hornets: 3-on-3

Published: December 28, 2011

In addition to our game-on post, Hornets247 will utilize the TrueHoop Network’s 3-on-3 format to preview games. Hope you enjoy. It’s just one of many regular features we  will be rolling out/bringing back over the next few weeks.

1.) What kind of crowd can we expect tonight?

Michael McNamara: I think the Hive will be Alive as we get to see all of the fruits of the labor that is the “I’m In!” campaign first hand tonight. People are ready for a fresh start and Eric Gordon almost single handedly gave fans a reason for optimism on opening night. A new era of New Orleans basketball starts tonight and the people know it.

James Grayson: Well seeing as I’m going I’ll expect a big crowd. I also expect it to be loud. Not for the Hornets, just for me. Aside from that it’s the home opener with 10,000 season ticket holders under the belt. Because of this and no football being played there will hopefully be a lot of people in attendance.

Jake Madison: I’m expecting a rowdy, near sell-out crowd for the home opener tonight. Those 10,000 season ticket holders will be excited to finally see some regular season basketball.

2.) What mismatch will the Celtics look to exploit tonight?

MM: Jarrett Jack simply isn’t quick enough to keep Rajon Rondo out of the paint, and the Celtics know that. Rondo has been a beast so far this season, averaging 27 and 13, and he is the youngest of the Celtics stars so the back-to-back won’t effect him as much. Look for Eric Gordon to be covering him in the 4th if the game is close.

JG: Aside from the specific mismatch that Michael mentioned before, expect the Celtics to exploit the Hornets lack of experience. New Orleans is one of the younger teams in the league and if the Celtics get the Hornets on the ropes look for them to punish them mentally.

JM: Michael is right; the Hornets have no one who can keep up with Rondo. I’m excited to see if Gordon can keep up with him.

3.) Where can the Hornets exploit the Celtics defense?

MM: I know the easy answer here is Eric Gordon, but I am going with Captain Kaman. Outside of Kevin Garnett, the Celtics bigs are all atrocious defensively, so Kaman can come in and dominate against Boston’s second string.

JG: I think the Hornets can attack the absence of Paul Pierce tonight. With Sasha Pavlovic starting in Pierce’s place I expect Trevor Ariza to try to attack. Whether that’s a good thing or not remains to be seen. But if Ariza can take smart shots, attack the rim, he could really have a good game.

JM: I going to have to say offensive pace. The Celtics are an aging team playing the second game of a back-to-back. I know it’s not Monty Williams’ style but a fast paced offensive attack will tire out the Celtics and hopefully lead to a Hornets win. Or keep playing the Chewbacca noise after Kaman scores and hope the Celtics are too busy laughing to play D.

Also check out the 3-on-3 from ESPN Boston

1. Uptown Sammy

December 28, 2011 at 3:57 pm

FYI

The pre game prayer is back

December 28, 2011 at 4:01 pm

Source?

Is it not the moment of silent reflection or whatever anymore?

• Bee dat

December 28, 2011 at 5:49 pm

i keep praying theyll get rid of the prayer, but seriously a moment of reflection would be more appropriate

• Uptown Sammy

December 28, 2011 at 8:32 pm

Winning

2. SadHornetsFan

December 28, 2011 at 4:10 pm

Anybody know if Gustavo Ayon will play tonight?

December 28, 2011 at 4:20 pm

I’ve seen nothing `out there’. I’ll check the Spanish news as best I can too.

I’d expect no, even if the Visa issue was cleared up. We can activate 13 and have one injury (Summers), and Lance Thomas has more experience with the system. Thomas was active last time, but saw no time, just like Trey Johnson.

• DownUnder

December 28, 2011 at 5:52 pm

Actually that reminds me. What happened to Brain Butch? I havnt heard anything relating to him since he got injured during practice.
        If you have any news and the time i’d appreciate a link or two please.

December 28, 2011 at 10:30 pm

He got waived.

We had it in the news a few days ago:

Gotcha covered, mate.

• DownUnder

December 29, 2011 at 3:55 am

Haha appreciate the info and friendly aussie banter
        Bit sad that he wasn’t able to shine due to the injury but thats professional sports for you.
        Thanks for the reply, its probably not said enough but thanks for the effort you go to in order to appease small time commenters such as myself, you obviously put in alot of effort.

3. Jo D

December 28, 2011 at 4:40 pm

Oh no! Not Trevor Ariza 🙁

• StefanC

December 28, 2011 at 5:00 pm

If we can get the same Ariza from the Suns game, I’m fine with it. Other than the two bricks from the free throw line, he had a nice, efficient game.

4. Bee dat

December 28, 2011 at 5:47 pm

i got love for trvor and his game. dell didnt bring him in for offensive firepower ( though those steals help generate offense) bur because our identity is a shutdown defensive team.

5. babyboi5

December 28, 2011 at 5:53 pm

I just saw on wwltv.com that ERIC GORDON WON’T PLAY TONIGHT!!! Has a swollen knee. Coach Williams is holding him out. WOW!!!

6. Stew

December 28, 2011 at 6:07 pm

OH NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh well. This may not be pretty.