What Happens to the “Woo” When Chris Paul Leaves?

Published: December 7, 2011

Newer Hornets fans might not be aware of this, but the CP3 “Woo” isn’t actually Chris Paul’s. In fact, it’s Ric Flair’s, who was a good friend of the previous Hornets owner, George Shinn. Before Paul heard the noise after every time he did something good on the court, it was Baron Davis who was showered with woo. So when Paul leaves, the woo is by no means certain to follow him.

I’m not fully aware of whether or not the CBA allows for the transfer of intellectual property alongside players, or if that has to be done in a separate deal altogether, but for the good of the Hornets, I hope that the woo is a goner. All the better if we can somehow trade it in exchange for a million dollars.

In all seriousness, that woo will never belong fully to another Hornet. It will never be screamed with the same enthusiasm by fans before during and after games. It will always remind us of what we have lost, not what we have.

So I move that we either deal the woo to wherever CP3 winds up, or toss it in the garbage alongside the rest of our one-time treasured memorabilia. He’s a goner, and there’s no reason to hang onto the past any longer than necessary.

I guess I’ll keep my dog, though…

1. Stefan

December 7, 2011 at 5:38 pm

I am tempted to teach this to my goldendoodle.

2. QueenBee

December 7, 2011 at 5:41 pm

I think I remember hearing the Ric Flair woo in Cleveland when Lebron was there. Maybe the Hornets should retire the ‘Wooooo!’.

3. Jason Calmes

December 7, 2011 at 5:53 pm

They did it for Baron.

I’m for more Flair each and every day if my life, it’s a Chatlotte thing at heart. If the new ownership has such concerns, it’ll go. If not, people like it.

The idea that this is some big funeral we need to react to is misplaced. This is life.

4. James Online

December 7, 2011 at 6:45 pm

If the “wooo” and the prayer before games get discarded, the franchise (owned by the NBA…discriminating against nonreligious folk?) will be better off.

• QueenBee

December 7, 2011 at 6:56 pm

Would anyone who really liked basketball not go to a game because a prayer is said pre-game? If you’re non-religious, just stay in your seat until it’s over. It’s a few moments, not an entire church service.

• James Online

December 8, 2011 at 11:08 am

It’s not a matter of marketing, it’s a question of ethics, decency, and living in the 21st Century. It’s a basketball game, not a revival meeting.

5. QueenBee

December 7, 2011 at 6:53 pm

If I’m not mistaken in Cleveland they played the ‘wooo’ when CP3 got ejected. Lebron was there. Baron hadn’t gotten there yet.

December 7, 2011 at 8:49 pm

Sorry. I meant the Hornets played it for Baron.

You are dead on regarding the ejection woo.

6. GecGreek

December 7, 2011 at 7:08 pm

multiple sources report that GSW are NOT willing to deal Curry!!! Ken Berger on twitter

7. EGO

December 7, 2011 at 8:00 pm

With any luck we’ll send it back to Charlotte where it belongs. Was never ours and getting rid of it would be the best part of trading CP3

8. Nick Malone aka yankeesman77

December 7, 2011 at 8:30 pm

We just need to have Jarret Jack walk out with the Ric Flair robe out before every home game. That in and within itself would be worth it. Keep the WOOOOOO!

4 Horsemen for Lyfe!

Who’d be the Hornets 4 Horsemen?

9. paul

December 7, 2011 at 8:59 pm

more inportant to me is…where is 42!!!!!!!!

December 7, 2011 at 10:20 pm

42’ll be all around in the dark. 42’ll be everywhere. Wherever you can look, wherever there’s a fight, so hungry people can eat, 42’ll be there. Wherever there’s a cop beatin’ up a guy, 42’ll be there. 42’ll be in the way guys yell when they’re mad. 42’ll be in the way kids laugh when they’re hungry and they know supper’s ready, and when the people are eatin’ the stuff they raise and livin’ in the houses they build, 42’ll be there, too.

10. MelDee

December 10, 2011 at 4:24 pm

why was shinn hanging out with a cross dressing pro wrestler?