New Orleans Hornets to Face Los Angeles Lakers in Round One

Published: April 14, 2011

The New Orleans Hornets will face the Los Angeles Lakers in round one of the NBA playoffs after losing to the Mavericks Wednesday night. The Memphis Grizzlies lost to the Clippers despite a late comeback, and ended up in the eight seed as a result. They will face the top-ranked San Antonio Spurs in the first round.

There was a distinct chance that the Hornets would face Dallas, but despite a 20-point comeback in the fourth quarter, the Sacramento Kings  were unable to hold onto a late lead over the Lakers. Ex-Hornet Marcus Thornton had an opportunity to hand the Lakers a loss in the closing seconds, and the Hornets a first round matchup with Dallas in the process, but he was shut down by the Black Mamba and wasn’t able to get a clean shot off.

Early Notes

• The Lakers were widely viewed as the worst potential first round opponent for the Hornets due to their deep, sizable front court.
  • The Hornets lost all four games to the Lakers this year, by an average of 10.7 points.
  • Against the Lakers this year, Chris Paul averaged 15 points on 56 percent shooting, and 10 assists vs 3 turnovers.

And can we all buy tickets for Hornets-Lakers and attend so that the damned arena isn’t half full of Lakers fans. Please?!?

Your thoughts on this whole thing?

1. JerichoM

April 14, 2011 at 12:25 am

Lakers sweep unless MT5 can put up 30 pts against them. Oh wait…

2. Chung

April 14, 2011 at 12:29 am

I have really bad feeling that Game 4 will an uncomfortable amount of Lakers fans in the house.

3. 420ftjesus

April 14, 2011 at 12:29 am

We get to see our boys play at least 2 more games.

4. Chris

April 14, 2011 at 12:32 am

Lakers fans better not be getting their brooms out. Hornets win in 6. Have faith fans don’t give up.

5. mbdtf

April 14, 2011 at 12:34 am

It would go down as one of the biggest upsets in Playoff history…. but odds of us winning the series are probably 1 in 1,000,000 unless Bynum turns out to be only about 50%, Ariza locks down on Kobe big time, and CP3 goes INSANE.

6. hornetshornetshornets

April 14, 2011 at 12:40 am

Game 1 will be huge. If Bynum isn’t ready and we can steal a game, that would have to make the Hive electric from Game 3. If we lose both games, expect a Lakers crowd for Game 3, which would just make me sick to my stomach.

7. Danny

April 14, 2011 at 12:47 am

I am a Hornet fan living in LA. This is going to be a nightmare. I have tickets to GM 2. I hope they dont put me in the hospital cuz im rockin my CP3 jersey!

• Patrick Clay

April 14, 2011 at 10:17 am

You sir, are a minority. haha a Hornets fan in the other LA? sheesh. Don’t get killed, but thank you for representing 😀

• Danny

April 14, 2011 at 1:55 pm

yep I am the minority out here and I get crap for it everyday. All these Fakers fans that come out when the playoffs start is really annoying.

8. Chase

April 14, 2011 at 12:53 am

If there’s a ban on those Laker “fans” that always come to the Hive; then we should at least get the home games.

9. Stefano from Italy

April 14, 2011 at 1:19 am

We are too undersized for lakers, i fear a sweep 🙁

10. djbrock191

April 14, 2011 at 1:22 am

I got faith in the hornets and if we play good team defense and Jack and Willie give us at least 30 points combined which is possible against the lakers as of late we will be in the games and CP3 can work his make. The lakers struggled to beat the spurs second unit on Tuesday so why cant we win cause they haven’t rested any starters. We just got to keep the hive live.

11. Duckathon

April 14, 2011 at 1:35 am

I smell a 4-1 series on the horizon.

12. Bug Marley

April 14, 2011 at 1:37 am

Beat LA!

13. Jet

April 14, 2011 at 1:44 am

The Lakers are my #1 favorite team in the NBA then come the Hornets. So, if theres a team out there that would put the Lakers down I wouldnt be happier to see the Hornets do it.

14. Bee_Fense985

April 14, 2011 at 2:12 am

4-1… we MAYBE pull 1 out at home… MAYBE.

15. MaxALM

April 14, 2011 at 2:15 am

The Hornets should be ready to get their asses kicked. Any more than a 4 game series will be a plus in my book.

• cmac81

April 14, 2011 at 11:02 am

Seriously? GTFO with that talk man. The odds are long on us but we still have a chance, we made the damn playoffs and we beat the number 1 seed in the west twice this year! AND we have the best point guard in the world. So seriously if you’re gonna be all negative around here f*** off.

• MaxALM

April 14, 2011 at 1:59 pm

hahaha you’re right. I agree with everything you said. I was pretty drunk last night and was overreacting and pissed we got the Lakers. Of course I want the Hornets to win, and they’ve got a chance. Forgive my intoxicated self.

• cmac81

April 14, 2011 at 7:35 pm

Hahahaha this is probably the best response you could have given. 100% forgiven my man, we’ve all been there.

16. Dj mbenga

April 14, 2011 at 2:33 am

Go hornets! Play the hardest ball of your life- then at least you know you’ve done your best. And who knows- upsets have been seen before. Bring the noise at the hive- lakers fans in NOLA STAY HOME!!!

17. Nik

April 14, 2011 at 2:50 am

thanks DJ 🙂 haha

I see this fingers crossed not being a sweep, with bynum injured we ‘only’ have to worry about Pau and Odom, we can probably put the polar bear on bynum…
    cp3 knowing its the play offs shows up, a pick and pop with landry option to drive and get fouls gets devastating. THEN Jack shows up cuz hes gettin his minutes finding good shots from ariza we have a solid set up for an upset!!! 🙂

then derrick fisher drains a couple of threes and everyone whos not a lakers fan curses him…

18. chiefyoungblood

April 14, 2011 at 3:07 am

this is terrible

19. Brandon

April 14, 2011 at 5:28 am

I have faith, but it will be very hard. The hornets have come a far way this year. Someone on this site said, “the hornets will be better next year” and I believe. Idk wat happend in the Dallas game but I think Monty was ok with losing. Jason smith has to play better d. On next season, the hornets know what they have to dp defensively to win but the main focus is to get a scoring machine wing player. Also, another big man would not hurt. There a few talented scoters in the draft but we are goin to have a low pick. Look for demps to trade away okafor, sign and trade bellinelli or Willie green for someone like monta Ellis and andria biendris. I love the hornets and they did better than I expected. But there is only so far u can go with limited skill and limited size. My blessings go to the hornets. If the hornets do not upset the lakers I will be alright cause Kobe could get his 6th ring. Go hornets

20. JCS

April 14, 2011 at 6:53 am

All you Aaron Gray fans, please stand up. Hornets are going against a sizable front court, so this is boy’s time to shine.

• 420ftjesus

April 14, 2011 at 8:40 am

So what does that mean for those who dislike him so? Are they to sit down?

Please don’t. We need someone to point out every single bad thing and nothing good. We can all do good analysis here, but we lack in biased commentary on things that are obvious to anyone with half an eye.

Stay with us.

Oh, don’t forget the fat jokes, even though he lost weight. We need the legwarmers jokes and nicknames.

Thank you for your support.

• JCS

April 14, 2011 at 2:57 pm

You must really want my attention, huh kid? I told you a year ago not to troll any of my comments and then I PWNT you so bad you changed your name. Well, guess what? It’s 2K11 and I still feel the same way. I don’t think your blasphemous jokes are funny and I definitely don’t like the ones that are racist. So get it through your head; we are not friends, I don’t like you, and this has nothing to do with you being a homosexual.

• 420ftjesus

April 14, 2011 at 3:33 pm

We both know that’s not what happened. We both know I made comments about Jeff Bower and you just said Fail alot. Alot alot. Which is ok. There are so many words to remember.

And the name change was a thing for ESPN.

Just to be clear, I’ve never met the man that made my heart go pitter-pat, so I’m not sure you are remembering things right. Some of my good friends have met that special man and I’m happy for them. Maybe you are confused. Not a racist either. I’d love examples.

It’s ok, I know it must be very confusing with all the people on here.

Also, you must be somewhat out of sorts. The real JCS is a good Christian and works for a Christian organization. He’d turn the other cheek.

• JCS

April 14, 2011 at 5:00 pm

Like I said a over year ago, which is actually the last time I directly addressed you (turn the other cheek); do not reply to any of my comments or mention my name. I don’t associate with racist trolls who make fun of Christianity or the organization I work for. I could care less that you’re a homosexual – the reason I don’t like you is because of your racist and blasphemous comments.

• 420ftjesus

April 14, 2011 at 5:03 pm

You mean could not care less, I’m sure.

No such comments have ever been made, so there is no problem.

And you have addressed me far more often than that, less that respectfully. But that’s ok, your emotions get the best of you and you misstep. Happens to everyone.

I’m not sure why you mentionimg homosexuality. Someone who didn’t get you like I do might think you were being offensive bringing it up so much.

• JCS

April 14, 2011 at 5:54 pm

Not only are you dense, you’re delusional. Stay off my comments kid.

• 420ftjesus

April 14, 2011 at 6:00 pm

Quoting you from the other thread: I PWNed you and now you can’t get enough of me. How pathetic.

None of that is true with respect me, sir.

It seems you are a touch irritated. Please mind the insults.

Clearly, you think it’s ok to continue to build on our relationship. I’m glad for that.

I’m very much looking forward to the playoffs. It will be a fun time, regardless of the outcomes. You?

• JCS

April 14, 2011 at 6:11 pm

What don’t you understand kid? There is no me and you. We have no relationship. The end.

• 420ftjesus

April 14, 2011 at 7:32 pm

Then why do you keep the conversation going, you coy thing you?

We all get along here, even if we disagree on things. I’d encourage you to continue to try to do the same in this happy playoff time.

And also to stop with the insults to me and others thay have been a pattern for years.

Thanks, dude. I’ll take silence as consent. Nice working with you.

• JCS

April 14, 2011 at 10:30 pm

Stay off my comments, and take your racism and blasphemy elsewhere.

• 420ftjesus

April 14, 2011 at 10:35 pm

Do you have any examples of these allegations? Or are you baselessly trying to degrade my image, which, to anyone who knows me, will not be touched by such outlandish claims. If you wanted to call me smelly . . . I’d have to relent . . .

If you don’t, I’d just stop, because it may may you look petty to some (not me).

And I don’t think anyone `owns’ any comments. Peace and freedom is what we enjoy here. Do you oppose freedom?

And what about the playoffs? I told you my thoughts, but you never mentioned yours here on this basketball blog.

• JCS

April 16, 2011 at 2:51 pm

Apparently, you’re eagerly awaiting for my comments and then replying minutes later. So I must say, your obsession with me isn’t the least bit flattering. I PWNed you because you are troll who stands for racism and blasphemy, and it is for those reasons I don’t want you on any of my comments in any way, shape, or form.
        Moving forward, when someone else exposes your shortcomings again, try to express gratitude for a chance to learn, to be corrected where you were wrong, and to make amends.
        Unfortunately, last year you have failed miserably to do that with me and a group others, who have left this forum because or your heartless words. So perhaps, your second chance will be with someone new. In the meantime, do not mention my name or reply to any of my comments. I do not support racism and I do not support blasphemy.

• 420ftjesus

April 16, 2011 at 3:56 pm

JCS,

You are way off base, and you have no evidence of these comments you make about my character. And I don’t recall anyone leaving this site because of me. Quite the opposite. I hear positive feedback often. When thay stops, I will move on. I have no desire to be somewhere I’m not wanted.

You are likely only making yourself look petty in the eyes of some.

I’m not eagerly awaiting your comments (quite the opposite), but I’m active on here and see your comments to me.

Take your own advice please, and get back to basketball.

21. RobertM320

April 14, 2011 at 7:01 am

Its the curse of NBA ownership. If Chouest had bought the team last year, Kobe would have missed that 3 pointer at the end of regulation last night and we’d be playing Dallas. “Curse you, David Stern!”

Truth is, even if we had the talent, there is NO WAY the “Association” would allow a team they own to bring down a two time defending champion Lakers team. Its just fact. At least we went from 8 under .500 last season to 10 games over this year.

Another wasted season for this franchise.

They’d have made the playoffs in 2006-07, if it wasn’t for injuries to CP3 and others.

They’d have made the playoffs in 2009-10 if CP3 hadn’t missed 40+ games.

They’d have been a top five seed this season, if not for the injuries.

When do we get a break? Is 2007-08 our “pinnacle”? Is that all we’re allowed to get, while LA gets championships many times over? Is this just our lot in life? I’m starting to feel like a Saints fan in the olden days once again, only this time with the Hornets.

All I know is, I’m buying as many tickets as I can for the two home games, even if I have to run up my credit cards to the max to keep them out of the hands of Lakers fans. I truly believe, if we have a repeat of the last time the Lakers were here, you’ll see some fans take matters into their own hands. I hope Arena Security is ready.

• 420ftjesus

April 14, 2011 at 8:34 am

I’m out of town Friday for game 3 (Wedding, not mine), and I’m missing the Classic, so all I want is a Game 4 without have to ve next to a Laker fan.

22. David

April 14, 2011 at 8:55 am

Way to go NBA putting game 4 on Easter sunday in probably the highest per capita populated catholic region in the country….buncha jerks.

23. David

April 14, 2011 at 9:38 am

Great, we get that White girl r*pin, Gay bashing, wife cheating anteater look alike Kobe and his sidekick, sideshow Bob, coming to the arena. Hide yo kids, hide yo wife

24. Go Blue

April 14, 2011 at 9:55 am

I guess we all get to see if CP3 was saving himself for the playoffs, eh?

• QueenBee

April 14, 2011 at 12:33 pm

He wasn’t. What you’ve been seeing is what you’ll get. Just letting you know now so you won’t be AS disappointed. 🙂

• QueenBee

April 14, 2011 at 12:34 pm

And while you’re watching him, watch him knowing it’s possible it could be his last days as a Hornet.

25. HoumaHornet

April 14, 2011 at 11:23 am

Can we get the highlight of Marcus Thornton not being able to fight through the screen last night giving Kobe a wide open 3 to tie the game with 4 seconds left in regulation. Sure he put up big numbers offensively but defense wins championships. So now we get the Lakers instead of Dallas. D-down Bees and Beat LA!

• 420ftjesus

April 14, 2011 at 11:33 am

You have a funny idea of what a highlight is. I’d love to hear more about this.

You don’t see the performance in overtime as a larger issue than over coming a 20 pt deficit in a qurater, then giving up a few points?

Also, a Kings or Lakers blog may be able to help with the video you want. Any interest in Jack’s performance last night?

• HoumaHornet

April 14, 2011 at 2:23 pm

As a Hornets fan I’m just a little bitter that we have to play the Lakers instead of the Mavs in the first round.

The Kings coming back from 20 down was quite a feat and they had the game won. Everyone in the building knew Lakers had to shoot a 3 and Lakers were gonna try to get the ball to Kobe. For him to get such an open look on a simple curl is inexcusable. The overtime performance was not a surprise after the emotional let down of thinking they had the game won.

As far as last nights game seemed as though the Hornets showed up to play a half and they did that. Starters didn’t see a lot of minutes in the second half. Jack was what we needed from him or another bench player in the playoffs.

• Joe Gerrity

April 14, 2011 at 6:14 pm

that was one heck of a game by Marcus, until the last 6 minutes.

26. QueenBee

April 14, 2011 at 2:07 pm

Brett (Altoona, Pa.)

What did you think about the Kobe fine?
    John Hollinger (2:22 PM)

Two interesting notes: 1) How did he not get a second technical for that? That would have taken him to the league limit and carried an automatic suspension for the Kings game, which would have changed the playoff seeding in the West. 2) What would they have done if it was a 10-day contract guy, or just somebody on a rookie contract? The guy would have ended up owing money.

I hadn’t even thought about that. This league is bush-league for sure. LOL.

27. QueenBee

April 14, 2011 at 2:12 pm

Ron (RI)

Kobe’s a superstar… Stern never would have let him get suspended and negatively affect the Lakers’ playoff seeding.
    John Hollinger (2:25 PM)

Not sure it would have affected the Lakers any. You really think they would lose to Portland or Dallas in a seven-game series, home court or not?

28. JaeAmazin

April 14, 2011 at 2:24 pm

Watching the game last night..The lakers are really playing bad basketball..If we Rebound we’re gonna Win this series..This is the playoffs..Where Amazing Happens..I love my Team…..Hornets All Day Bitches!!

• QueenBee

April 14, 2011 at 2:53 pm

LOL!

29. QueenBee

April 14, 2011 at 2:54 pm

My son reading somone in NOLA’s twitter or facebook talking about selling some tickets to Lakers fans. I told him to tell that guy to have some effin civic pride and at least sell them to NOLA fans. Effin clown!!!!!! $%$^%&&**

30. QueenBee

April 14, 2011 at 2:59 pm

And you just know Emeka will likely be in foul trouble, the whistle will blow everytime Aaron Gray’s heart beats, Ariza won’t be able to guard Kobe the way he is capable of. Ugghhh.

• coach44

April 14, 2011 at 4:45 pm

Yep. I’m afraid Gasol and Kobe will be allowed to run roughshod over our Hornets, yet if we look at the Lakers crosswise, it’s a foul(especially on Gray). Tyson gave Paul a forearm shiver last night and there was no call, then Gray sneezed and three whistles blew.

• QueenBee

April 14, 2011 at 5:20 pm

Yeah, that was messed up. I was kind of surprised to see CP and Tyson so physical with each other.

31. QueenBee

April 14, 2011 at 5:19 pm

On the news just now they were talking about the 1st round playoff series and Lee Zurik said “New Orleanians, don’t cheer for the Lakers”. LOL. Tell em Lee!