The New Orleans Pelicans finally introduce Jrue Holiday tonight at their complex on Airline Drive.
Holiday was received from the Philadelphia 76’ers, along with rookie guard Pierre Jackson, in exchange for Nerlens Noel (the Pelicans’ 2013 first round draft pick (6th)) and the Pelicans 2014 first round draft pick. The pick reportedly has top 5 protection. Thus, if the pick ends up being top 5, the Pelicans retain the pick and the Sixers’ get another draft pick (TBD).
Holiday is entering his 5th year in the NBA and is coming off an All-Star season, his first. The 6’4″, 205 lb. point guard is a consistent defender, though his offens dropped off last season as Philadelphia was consumed in turmoil with their coach and fall-out from the Andrew Bynum trade and subsequent drama. He’s a reliable scorer, an average 3-point shooter who takes enough shots to make ignoring him a mistake. He’s an effective passer by all reasonable metrics. He is in the first year of a 4-year, $41,000,004 contract, plus incentives.
The draft night trade was the first of the Pelicans’ off-season moves but is only now being announced because Jrue was on his honeymoon, having just married fellow Bruin and longtime girlfriend, Lauren Cheney, on July 7th. Cheney is a midfielder and forward for the US National Women’s Soccer Team and FC Kansas City.
I know the delay has been a source of frustration for anxious, eager, suspicious, etc. fans here in New Orleans. Some people are just always waiting for the other show to drop, even if it’s the third shoe. In this case, Jrue has a life outside of basketball that needed some tending, and the Pelicans did well to give him and his wife 100% leeway to start the new phase of their relationship off. They have they Jrue here for 4 years. That time will be spend in securing 5 more if he works out like we all hope.
The mutual interview starts now, hopefully with some honeymoon lagniappe here in New Orleans.
Here are recent stories on these two new Pelicans:
Notes from the Press Event
- All are thrilled to have Jrue here. Worked hard to get him here.
- It’s been a long day of travel for Jrue. Thanks to all for waiting, thanks to Lauren.
- Familiar with Tyreke, looking forward to playing with him.
- Jrue’s played in a tough market before and is excited about food, culture, organization, coaches, and family here.
- He used to live in Ruston, and his brother’s fiance lives in Louisiana.
- Came back early to be here for the press conference.
- After the shock of the unexpected trade wore off, he became really excited about the players here. He expects the team to be good.
- He took the step forward to become an All-Star by listening to his coaches. He looks forward to getting better each year.
- Dell says the stars have lined up to make these moves. (His eyes twinkled here.)
- The intent going into the offseason was to get Jrue, and it became official tonight. He only talked to Dell and Monty a little so far as a result of the delays.
- He feels it’s his job to get the scorers the ball. He feels he has great chemistry with Tyreke.